Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: total newbie needs help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    total newbie needs help

    Firstly - I'm a total newbie at linux. I'm playing with it only for an day or two.
    Secondly - my english sucks. Sorry.

    Now, the question is:
    How can I get knoppix to remember my settings regarding appearance of the desktop (size of icons, choice of wallpaper and color of the text) and some changes I made to the K-menu?
    I've successfully determinated 'home' disk for the knoppix (mnt/hda6 - ext2 partition of aprox. 1.5GB) and created an swap file (mnt/hda7 - 270MB partition). I know how to login as an root ('knoppix single') and how to load configs I've previously saved ('knoppix single myconfig=/mnt/hda6')... but knoppix doesn't load changes I've previously made to the appearance of desktop and K-menu (K-menu = Start Menu in Winblows ). Also, it also forgets all my settings regarding custom language support (Croatian) and keyboard layout. What did I do wrong? What do I need to do so knoppix would remember these settings?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ou could save your home directory and the configs with the two comands (in the kde menus).
    that is: klick yourself to these.
    K-menu > KNOPPIX > Configuration > Create a persistent KNOPPIX home

    AND (taken from the faq at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing )
    directory

    Go to the K-menu > KNOPPIX > Configuration and choose "save config", you can save to floppy or to an already existing partition on the harddrive. (on a windows partition s fine)
    sadlt that about wndows only aplies if you do NOT have NTFS on the partition.
    if you save to hdd you can reload the configs with the cheatcodes

    boot: knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan (or give a correct path)
    hope to help OErjan

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: total newbie needs help

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo
    Firstly - I'm a total newbie at linux. I'm playing with it only for an day or two.
    Secondly - my english sucks. Sorry.
    Welcome to Linux. I would suggest using a more appropriate subject line like: "Persistent home not working" rather than your chosen one. Just search through the forums with the word 'newbie' and see how many hits you get. Then see how many are actually of any use. A forum is created by the users. OK I'm done ranting.

    So is it correct to understand that you are already telling Knoppix to save your configuration but it is not working? Does it save some things and not others? Forgive me as I have only toyed with this option of Knoppix as I do not use it in that way. Post more details if you can and perhaps someone with more experience using the persistent home feature of Knoppix can assist. Oh and BTW - you're English is fine.

Similar Threads

  1. Xine,DVB-s & total newbie
    By Andy77 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
  2. HELP! Networking woes on a total Newbie
    By Phishman in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
  3. Total newbie - a few basic QQ
    By swishsticks in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 06:08 PM
  4. total newbie here
    By liquid134 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
  5. Total Newbie
    By drbfunk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675) picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)

$125.96



Dell Optiplex 7070 8-Core i7-9700 3.0ghz 8GB DVDRW NO SSD Tower PC Computer picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 8-Core i7-9700 3.0ghz 8GB DVDRW NO SSD Tower PC Computer

$169.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Mac Pro (A1186,

Apple Mac Pro (A1186, "8Core" 2007)Xeon X5365-4GB Ram 1TB HDD OS XLeopard NVIDIA

$274.99



Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS

$199.99