Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Saving apt cache pkgs for a fresh install

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    Saving apt cache pkgs for a fresh install

    I am on dialup and was wondering if I could save some of the larger debs in my apt cache for a fresh reinstall so I don't have to download them again. Maybe stupid question but it can be excruiating to redownload an open office & dependencies for instance, with a dialup. So was wondering if I could pop the bigger ones back in there and run apt-get update on the new install and it would know what I have in there and not go fetching them again when I want to install them. I have already saved what I have downloaded or unpacked to usr src.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Of course you can. Please have a look at man apt-get. A snip:

    --no-download
    Disables downloading of packages. This is best used with
    --ignore-missing to force APT to use only the .debs it has
    already downloaded. Configuration Item: APT::Get:ownload.

    Also you can simply do dpkg -i <pkg>.deb

Similar Threads

  1. Keeping users across fresh install
    By dtz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 05:25 PM
  2. Cannot login! Fresh install ~ About to pull hair out!
    By albob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
  3. display corrupted on fresh install of kanotix 3
    By mr__ed in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 07:37 AM
  4. Use Knoppix to install pkgs. on existing debian-based Linux?
    By mmw1231 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 02:18 AM
  5. Fresh Install onto a hard drive
    By steingra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC  picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC

$1299.00



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99