Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: A Long Story...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    A Long Story...

    Hello all. Let me first say I am no n00b to linux, I began a while back with Red Hat 7 and I kept going until 9. Red Hat gave us Fedora and I said no no. I had tried Knoppix in its early stages, and to be honest I hated it, so I never even tried it. I loved the Apt-Get concept but never had the "intestinal fortitude" to install Debian. I ended up using LindowsOS for a while and discovered how much KDE had changed and how easy Apt-Get was. Unfortunately I scrapped the desktop PC I had and purchased a laptop. Averatec 5110h from CompUSA to be exact. It turned out Lindows didn't support the onboard graphics and neither did, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Mepis Linux, Fedora Core 1 and 2, SuSE, College Linux, and a few others. Aparently although they all used XFREE86 none saw the video card properly. One day I saw a screenshot of Knoppix 3.3 and I was amazed. I immediately downloaded to see if it would work and to my suprise it did, and it was great. However I discovered my problem, which leads me here today...

    My laptop features Intel Centrino Mobile Technology ala a 802.11b Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 card. Using Linuxant's Driver Loader I successfully had Knoppix recognize the card, however It will not work because my laptop needs a specific Windows program called "EZButton" to start, or enable, the 2 buttons and Wireless card on the keyboard. Oh, and yes I tried running the program in Wine and Crossover Office. So my question is 1. Is it possible to enable it or 2. What 802.11g cards are compatable with Knoppix 3.3 and available in the United States?

    TIA,
    Anthony "linuX-gamEr" Barboza

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Looks like some work has been done on a driver but it isn't fully implemented yet.

    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...03.1/0424.html

    Intel promises support but I wouldn't lose any sleep waiting. It sure doesn't look like they're in a hurry.

    Maybe this is of use:
    http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

    I have no wireless g only b so I cannot make a recommendation.

Similar Threads

  1. Success Story
    By jimbo62 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:29 AM
  2. A Story of A Sad newbie
    By mimes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:11 AM
  3. A success (sort of) Story -- My Modem
    By Dr Snark in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:46 AM
  4. Knoppix success story...
    By dvessey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM
  5. The story so far.........
    By Tealc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99