-
Removing X11
I'm trying to build a small, custom version of Knoppix to use as a tool in system installation, maintenance and recovery. Since I don't need or particularly want a GUI interface and I do want the system to be very small, I'd like to get rid of X11. So far, my attempts haven't gone well, the uninstall scripts for a bunch of the X based packages seem to have problems.
Help?
Also, I would prefer to base this on Knoppix, which is considered the "canonical" Linux LiveCD than on a derivative of Knoppix.
-- Matt
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Removing X11

Originally Posted by
technoronin
I'm trying to build a small, custom version of Knoppix to use as a tool in system installation, maintenance and recovery. Since I don't need or particularly want a GUI interface and I do want the system to be very small, I'd like to get rid of X11. So far, my attempts haven't gone well, the uninstall scripts for a bunch of the X based packages seem to have problems.
Help?
Also, I would prefer to base this on Knoppix, which is considered the "canonical" Linux LiveCD than on a derivative of Knoppix.
-- Matt
I'm doing the same thing, but I haven't started yet (so don't have any direct experiences to report). However, it seems like the first thing you should do is try to remove everything related to KDE. A good starting point would be to remove almost every package whose name starts with "k" (but not every one, so be careful). Were you able to get that far?
-
No, one of the Knoppix specific KDE packages tries to take a bunch of important system packages with it. So, I've been messing around trying to remove xserver*. It got ugly. That's why I'm looking for help.
Another thought is to build from scratch. Are there any good detailed instructions or HOWTOs on mastering Knoppix from scratch as opposed to remastering?
Similar Threads
-
By florin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2005, 02:11 AM
-
By kaplan71 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
-
By chrisjrn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:02 AM
-
By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By estranged in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1000.00

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95