Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Removing X11

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    Removing X11

    I'm trying to build a small, custom version of Knoppix to use as a tool in system installation, maintenance and recovery. Since I don't need or particularly want a GUI interface and I do want the system to be very small, I'd like to get rid of X11. So far, my attempts haven't gone well, the uninstall scripts for a bunch of the X based packages seem to have problems.

    Help?

    Also, I would prefer to base this on Knoppix, which is considered the "canonical" Linux LiveCD than on a derivative of Knoppix.

    -- Matt

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    18

    Re: Removing X11

    Quote Originally Posted by technoronin
    I'm trying to build a small, custom version of Knoppix to use as a tool in system installation, maintenance and recovery. Since I don't need or particularly want a GUI interface and I do want the system to be very small, I'd like to get rid of X11. So far, my attempts haven't gone well, the uninstall scripts for a bunch of the X based packages seem to have problems.

    Help?

    Also, I would prefer to base this on Knoppix, which is considered the "canonical" Linux LiveCD than on a derivative of Knoppix.

    -- Matt
    I'm doing the same thing, but I haven't started yet (so don't have any direct experiences to report). However, it seems like the first thing you should do is try to remove everything related to KDE. A good starting point would be to remove almost every package whose name starts with "k" (but not every one, so be careful). Were you able to get that far?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2
    No, one of the Knoppix specific KDE packages tries to take a bunch of important system packages with it. So, I've been messing around trying to remove xserver*. It got ugly. That's why I'm looking for help.

    Another thought is to build from scratch. Are there any good detailed instructions or HOWTOs on mastering Knoppix from scratch as opposed to remastering?

Similar Threads

  1. removing X completely
    By florin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 02:11 AM
  2. Removing Programs Using Apt-Get
    By kaplan71 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
  3. Removing Windows
    By chrisjrn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:02 AM
  4. Removing without removing dependencies also
    By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
  5. About removing software.
    By estranged in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1 picture

Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1

$75.00



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99