Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Running Knoppix on a hard drive connected to usb

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3

    Running Knoppix on a hard drive connected to usb

    I am a bit struggling to get Knoppix to run out of my external hard drive.

    My config is the following :

    -Compaq Armada M700
    -W2000 installed on the internal HDD. I don't want to have any change on that drive > That's my office stuff...
    -I have an external HDD connected to the M700 with a USB2 connection
    -I can boot the laptop either using the internal HDD, the CDROM, or the floppy.
    Ultimately, my goal would be to insert a floppy with a bootloader, and then run Knoppix from the external HDD.

    I am able to run Knoppix from the CD. The external HDD is well recognized, and mounted when I run from the CD.
    I have tried to install Knoppix on the external HDD. Everything is fine until I restart using the floppy. Then I get a kernel panic. It seems that there is no USB support in the floppy.

    Do I need to rebuild a kernel? I tried to understand the document about booting from a USB key, but the config is slightly different. I boot from a floppy, but must load the USB drivers to get access to the system, on SDA1....

    Any help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    You're getting a kernel panic because no USB drivers are loaded, so the USB HD is not mounted. (and if the HD is not mounted, impossible to find the kernel that is on the HD!).

    You should be able to use the CD to do what you want to do - check out http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6463. That thread is for firewire, but it's exactly the same principle for USB.

    Just before switching to run level 5 ('init 5'), you might want to do a 'swapon -a' ('swapon -s' to check). Post back if you have any problems.

    HTH

    p.s. one alternative is to remaster, as described in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8471

Similar Threads

  1. Can't run from CD with Hard Drive connected!
    By kq9j in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 01:40 AM
  2. Copy to CD running Knoppix from same CD drive
    By GotCoffee in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:53 AM
  3. Running Knoppix 3.6 from hard drive...
    By MrGreen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:52 AM
  4. Can't access hard drives when running knoppix
    By tony177 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 07:57 AM
  5. Running WinXP/Knoppix off of same hard drive
    By Bluethunder in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5

2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5" HDD

$39.95



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99