-
Setting up new passwords after HD install
I followed the instructions below in the article for newbies but when I click on the root shell icon I am asked for a password. If I use the password created during install all I get is an "incorrect password" error. What am I missing? Inprevious installations I have been able to get to that screen without any problems.
]"Click on 'K' at the lower left hand corner of your screen, scroll to KNOPPIX and then click on the 'root shell' icon. This will open a back screen with a strange looking prompt 'root@ttyp1[knoppix]#'. Just type in the command 'passwd', you will be prompted to 'Enter new UNIX password:' and 'Retype new UNIX password:'. Enter whatever password you have chosen for the administrator and that's it. For the 'knoppix' user, just do the same thing but type in 'passwd knoppix'. You can then close the window by either typing 'exit' or clicking on the 'x' icon on the upper right corner of the window."
[/i]
-
Junior Member
registered user
I've had similar problems in the past when I've used symbols such as @#$%^&,etc in my password. If I used all letters it seems to work fine.
Somebody suggested to me that during the hd install the keyboard may be mapped to a german keyboard, thereby making the symbol keys different when you boot into english.
Hope that helps
Robert
-
Yes that was exactly the problem. Not only are symbols a problem with the german keyboard but certain letters like "Y" are also a problem. The "Y" and "Z" are transposed on the German KB and there are propbably other characters too. This seems to only be a problem during the initial installation and password creation. After the installation you can create new passwords from the root shell that do use symbols, etc and they seem to work ok.
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By Troyes in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
-
By Sajjad Khaliq in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-23-2004, 03:52 AM
-
By devilotx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-19-2004, 06:25 PM
-
By Neo-Rio in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-08-2004, 08:05 AM
-
By Tovi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-20-2003, 08:24 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$184.95

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$448.20

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4
$1649.99

G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO
$419.95

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF
$57.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US
$3.95