Hi there,
I've had Knoppix 3.3 installed on a few computers for a while now, and I must say I am _very_ pleased with it! Big thanks to the guys for putting exactly the right packages together to make a brilliant distro.
With the 3.4 coming along, I've been wondering what to do with regards to upgrading. When i moved up from 3.2 to 3.3, i simply did the straight forward thing of repartitioning my drive (needed to be done any way), and hdd installing 3.3. I subsequently had a bit of a fight to get all my settings back to what I like, but that wasn't too bad. The reason I didn't use apt at the time, was simply that I was on dialup, and thus preferred this solution.
Now however I thought I'd simply give apt a chance. I read a few threads on here regarding moving up, and everyone seemed to agree using upt update and upgrade is simply the best way to do it. So I have tried, but kinda screwed my KDE setup now ;-(
Basically what I would like to do when 3.4 comes out, is to have a list of all the packages, and their version numbers so that I can feed that into apt or dpkg. I read that dpkg can do magic with 'getpackages' and 'setpackages' and wondered if that would be a way to do it.
In other words, get the package list of knoppix 3.4 and simply tell my 3.3 system to move up...
I trust that wouldn't get me a real knoppix 3.4 though. Undoubtedly the knoppix guys have spent a fair few months tweaking all the etc/ scripts just right, and the above approach would not get me all those things.
(I'm also a little worried if this approach would even get me very far on the KDE front, since I dont think apt will cope with the massive amount of dependencies a new KDE brings. But I'm willing to be proven wrong on this front)
So given the above... would it not be very useful to have something like an 'hddupgrade' script? ie have an 'hddinstall' script like there is now, but also be able to upgrade a given system?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. And if that is no way going to happen, then any thoughts on how to simply upgrade KDE via apt would be very useful too!
/Thanks
Jelte

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch
$179.99
Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99