Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Automa(t/g)ic Saving/Loading of /etc and /home to solid disk

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cantabria, Spain
    Posts
    17

    Automa(t/g)ic Saving/Loading of /etc and /home to solid disk

    Since I've seen knoppix detecting my 256MB solid disk at the first try (I didn't even tried to test it, I just forgot to unplug it. What a lovelly surprise!) I started to think about what crazy things I can do with it, and this idea came to my mind:

    How about taking /mnt/sda1/etc as /etc and /mnt/sda1/home as /home if the directory exist? It's just a simple test in a .sh and not to harmfull/difficult to implement. Hell, I'm going to try and burn my custom CD with this and other tricks added, and I don't feel it's so dificult! Why don't we can have this idea in the standar official CD, then?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    43
    I've already put my USB portable memory to use this way; however, I copy the data over what is already there, using rsync with backup options - which not only preserves the data, but allows "overwriting" of links to CDROM data.

    Doing a copy also means that I don't have to have the "solid disk" tied up when the system is running; I can swap it out.

    However, you can change the environment variable KDEHOME to point to whatever location you want. This variable normally points to ~/.kde, but you can copy that to your solid disk and keep on working with a persistent KDE home.

    For that matter, you could do this on startup from knoppix.sh on a floppy:

    if mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ; then
    rm -f /home/knoppix
    ln -s /mnt/sda1 /home/knoppix
    fi

    You could do this with /etc as well, but that seems like overkill and not worth a lot... just copy the few files you want to change.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cantabria, Spain
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for the tip, It's simpler than what I was trying.

    By the way, it would be very nice to be implemented on the standar CD in a next release. Just a tip for the project leader... :P

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You should check out the persistent home script. I believe it is to be included on the next release. This thread should fill you in on what it is.

    You can downlaod it <a herf"http://www.centernetworx.de/knx_persistent_home_0.4.zip">here</a> , unzip and look at the readme too.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Actually you may want to check out this post from Mr. Knopper to see what's on the horizon.

    Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. Saving Files to floppy disk
    By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
  2. Loading a third party disk driver
    By lhoward in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 02:26 PM
  3. saving settings on floppy disk
    By tyiooo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 04:13 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 08:33 AM
  5. Saving settings to disk
    By zerveza in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00