Hmmm ,

Thinking your predicament over a couple of questions.

Did your (now linux) computer work with that modem using Windows? I know in your original post you said you could receive faxes under windows, but that was with an old Win 98. Box., right? I'm thinking a cabling problem. Can you make a partition on your linux box, install W98 for a test perhaps?

When you put efax-gtk in standby, what exactly does it say, ie class of faxmodem etc.

I haven't played with Hylafax yet but I've heard it works Check dmseg or ps to see if either hylafax or mgetty- fax is running.

Finally, you might want to compare the modem initialization strings linux v. windows, if you can find the windows one. Using efax-gtx look under file >setting>params.

Code:
dmesg | grep *fax*
Code:
ps -A | more
All this should keep you busy while I look as some other fax front ends (a project I've been putting off long enough)

HTH