Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: saving config to hard drive and boot disk problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    24

    saving config to hard drive and boot disk problem

    I have moved my Knoppix folder to my C drive (Fat32) and I have made a boot floppy. I set up Knoppix the way I like it, background, printer, icons...etc and then I saved my configuration to my /dev/hda1 drive. I added the following text just after APPEND below DEFAULT vmlinzu to syslinux.cfg:

    myconfig=scan home=scan

    I rebooted and it worked but I forgot to set some things up so I made the changes and then tried to save my config to /dev/hda1 but I got an error that it could not do so. I rebooted again and now I was back to the default settings. I tried making all my changes again and then saving, now I get the window that makes it look like it is saving but it just stays at 0% and the disappears. I try rebooting, default settings again. I also tried deleting the knoppix.sh and configs.tbz from windows and tried again...no luck...what gives? I even tried using the cheat codes at the boot screen and that did not work. I also tried adding myconfig=/dev/hda1 to the

    Also if I change the setting on read/write so I can write to hda1 why can't I delete knoppix.sh and configs.tbz in Knoppix, are they being used? What would be the best way to delete them in Knoppix?

    Do I need to create a persistent home?

    This has happened to me with 3.2 and 3.3 I would appreciate any assistance given.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Not sure about your reasons/resolves on the saving configs on the drive, I think, even if you are user "knoppix" the save functions use root to write and read, so permissions shouldn't be the issue... hmmmmmmm...

    I think the reason why you can't delete the files in Knoppix, is permissions though - the user knoppix is not root, and permissions for those files, I think, are root owner and root group, with read access only for group Other - which is what the user knoppix is - other.

    What I would try...

    Run a shell console, do a su, mount the hda1 device, go to the mount point for the device, locate the knoppix and configs files, and do a rm of them, as root. If that fails, I'm clueless.

    When I first started out, I did the knoppix and configs, and after a few weeks, started doing the persistant home thing - I never had problems with any of these three things having write, or read, problems - I did find out that if you let Windows (any version) run defrag on the drive, my persistant home, and swap, (files) got all messed up, and Knoppix would report during booting, they were corrupt - so heed that warning. But, never, other than defrag problems, had problems using the save config, save knoppix, persistant home, or persistant swap setup. ( I did all of these with Knoppix v3.2 -=- I then hard drive installed v3.3 - so I am not sure of those "save" features in that version )

    Hope this helps, Eradicator,
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    24
    Thanks, I deleted the files and created them again.

    I just watched the PC boot up and I saw that it found the knoppix.sh file and then it stated it was extracting the configs.tbz file but when it finished booting I was in the default settings!!!

    It also seems that my configs file is very very small, 46 B bites if I check off all the boxes when I save my config? That seems to small to me for all the settings.

    What gives?

    Thanks for your reply BTW.

    ====

    Update, I tried saving my configs on the boot floppy, it created the 2 files and I added floppyconfig to the syslinux file but it still did not work...what am I doing wrong???

Similar Threads

  1. Problem in re-saving a .doc file back to Hard Drive
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 12:34 PM
  2. Saving files to hard Drive
    By Jseegs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 09:24 PM
  3. Saving config files to floppy disk
    By Leslie Simon in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
  4. Saving mozilla config to persistant hard drive
    By bruceg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:51 PM
  5. Problem with saving config (KNOPPIX 3.2)
    By duffy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99