Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: KDEprinting problem

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    KDEprinting problem

    If I go into the the KDE control center /peripherals/printers, the KDE control center crashes. Moreover, I can no longer print from KDE apps. If I start start the control center from the command line, I get the following error message:

    kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /usr/share/icons/kids/ group not valid.
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /usr/share/icons/kids/ group not valid.
    I'm not sure what's happening here. Anyone else having this problem? /usr/share/icons/kids/ is a valid path for me. This a group/permissions problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm getting the same crash w/o the error message on a second computer. That fact alone makes it seem strange to me that I'm the only one seeing this. Has no one else run into this problem? Recent upgrades break kdeprint?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8
    I have the same problem, but somehow also people from other distributions are complaining, very unhandy tough....
    Robert

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bedfordshire, South-east England
    Posts
    5

    Printing with KDE

    I am not 100% sure about this, as I do not have Knoppix on this computer, but if you go to the Knoppix menu on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, there is an item there about setting up a printer.
    Alternatively, in the main KDE menu, there is an menu tree for Knoppix, and there is the same menu set for setting up a printer in Knoppix. I can only assume that there is some special thing for creating a printer under Knoppix than under KDE.

    HTH

    Paul.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80
    Right,

    I'm having a problem printing with the 17th May version installed to HD using the Beginner's method and kernel26.

    I set up an Epson printer, printed the test page OK, but am unable to print, for example, from Opera 7.50.

    mvh

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8

    Kprinter crashes

    I can print from kwrite, but it is kprinter that is causing the problem. Could anyone of you try to start kprinter from the commandline?

    launching Kprinter from the command lines, gives this message:
    kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
    ---------------------------------
    It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
    that it is not already running, remove /home/knoppix/.DCOPserver_knoppix_:0
    and start dcopserver again.
    COPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    WARNING: DCOP communication problem!

    regards,
    Robert

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
  2. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Computer 1991 - For Parts or Repair. Read picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Computer 1991 - For Parts or Repair. Read

$99.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC II — Recapped, Restored & Working — System 7.1, 80MB picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC II — Recapped, Restored & Working — System 7.1, 80MB

$159.00



Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard + picture

Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard +

$399.95



Vintage Apple Mac Mini A1176 Desktop Intel 1.66GHz 60GB With Power Adapter picture

Vintage Apple Mac Mini A1176 Desktop Intel 1.66GHz 60GB With Power Adapter

$55.00



Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS picture

Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS

$140.00



Macintosh Classic M1420 Apple Computer 1990 Vintage, Powers On picture

Macintosh Classic M1420 Apple Computer 1990 Vintage, Powers On

$149.99



Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage picture

Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage

$129.99