-
Trouble letting go of Windows
I've just installed Knoppix on my hard disk, and was really impressed with how easy it was, but there are a couple of things I'd like to sort out before I get rid of windows altogether (I installed Knoppix on a partition that was used by windows, so now it's dual boot and I'm planning on formatting the windows partition for Linux once I'm sure I won't miss it):
When I logout and choose "turn off computer", instead of shutting down altogether it restarts and goes back to lilo. to turn off I have to load windows and shut down from there.
With windows i have a program called 'photoimpression' that downloads pictures from a digital camera, and which also allowed it to be used 'live', so a moving picture is displayed on the screen which can either be recorded as a video file, or there is a button called 'capture' which you click to take the picture shown on the screen. I've found gtkam, which seems to do only the first of these. Is there a Linux program that does the rest? And though gtkam worked from the cd I now get "Could not list folders in '/'" when i try to access the camera. I imagine this is something to do with 'permissions', but being new to Linux I'm not sure exactly what.
In the bar at the bottom of Konqeror (where URLs are displayed when you hover over a link) there is some text that appears on the left, only you can only see the bottom of one line and the top of the next. Probably not important, but odd.
and a very minor point: " and @ are swapped around on the keyboard.
As you can probably tell I don't know anything about Linux (and little enough about Windows). Can anyone recommend an easy introduction?
cheers,
George
-
Senior Member
registered user
The issue with Konq is probably down to the font being used.
Can't give you any specific help with gtkam, but I'm sure it is a permissions issue.
" and @ are swapped around on the keyboard.
Almost certainly this is down to the wrong keyboard being selected. If you live mainly in Kde land, Control Center > Peripherals > Keyboard should enable you to select the right one.
Note that there is something on digital cameras there, too.
The best book on Linux is rute. You can buy it (hardcopy -- do a google it to find the publishers) or apt-get it.
(as root)
apt-get update && apt-get install rutebook
It's neither simple or difficult. It is pretty damn comprehensive.
A HOWTO I like is the DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO. You might try googling for it.
HTH and have fun!
Similar Threads
-
By Zidave in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:22 PM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By Seeker in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-26-2003, 09:53 AM
-
By paramedic in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:11 PM
-
By jimgeorge in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive
$24.99

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99