-
Booting off the iPod
Hi, I am new here and have only used Knoppix a few times. Anyways, I have an iPod and want to find some new uses for it. Since the iPod (the version I have) connects via firewire, I was wondering if it was possible to put Knoppix on the pod's harddrive and boot off of it. If one can do this, how would I go about doing it? Thanks for all the help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can your PC boot from firewire (is there an option in the BIOS?) If not you cannot boot off the ipod - when the PC starts up, it doesn't *see* the ipod.
What you can do however, is to boot to a ramdisk, load the firewire modules (drivers), mount your ipod and then transfer the root file system there. So you boot off a CD, but run knoppix off your ipod.
I'm doing this at the moment (with a normal external firewire harddrive, not an ipod). See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35700 for details.
HTH
-
if it works with a normal firewire hard drive, then it should theoretically work with the iPod because all it is to the computer _is_ a firewire drive.
Thanks for the help
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
iTim
if it works with a normal firewire hard drive, then it should theoretically work with the iPod because all it is to the computer _is_ a firewire drive.
Thanks for the help
Theoretically as you say... Depends a lot on the chip used in the external drive, and also what chipset the host controller (in your PC). I've had far too many problems with firewire unfortunately, but I suspect that may be mostly to the implementation on my Dell laptop. Next latop for me will be an iBook I think :)
FWIW the firewire chip used in the ipod seems to be very good (got a 3rd gen 30 GB version), but inserting it into one of the free ports on my external drive crashed my PC the other day :(
Anyway, have fun :)
Similar Threads
-
By zawi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-18-2005, 04:05 AM
-
By dave932932 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 06:33 PM
-
By chris-harry in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-14-2005, 11:34 AM
-
By tfinan in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 02:04 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New
$185.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$199.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS
$1499.00

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99