Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Uninstalling apps (OpenOffice)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16

    Uninstalling apps (OpenOffice)

    Hi, n00b here!

    I recently started getting into Linux using the Knoppix-STD CD. Through that I became aquainted w/ Knoppix.

    I partitioned my HD and did an install of Knoppix. I'm now successfully running a dual boot w/ WinXP.

    My question is this, how can I "uninstall" OpenOffice? I'd like to install the new version, and the website says I should remove the old one first. I tried running the "setup" app in the OO directory. I'm fairly sure there is a remove option in there, but the whole thing is in German (which I don't read). So, what should I do? Can you tell me what buttons to push to do it? Or if there is a command I can type in a shell that would do it, can you tell me what it is?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    apt-get remove openoffice-de-en

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    You can also install the newest version with:

    apt-get -t unstable install openoffice.org

    Provided you have a Debian unstable repository listed in /etc/apt/sources.list

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    "apt-get remove openoffice-de-en"

    Ah, ok. I'll try that! Thanx!


    "apt-get -t unstable install openoffice.org

    Provided you have a Debian unstable repository listed in /etc/apt/sources.list"

    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I'm still too green to understand that. Isn't Debian unstable the current untested Debian? I think that's what I read on their website. Is this correct? Also, what is a repository?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    You can do the following:
    Code:
    su
    (enter root password)
    kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list
    You should see a list of places to download Debian packages from. In Knoppix, these download mirrors are in Germany. You can edit them if you want. I live in the U.S., so I usually change them to U.S. mirrors. Here is what my sources.list looks like:
    ##Debian Stable
    deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/ woody/non-US main contrib non-free

    ##Debian TESTING
    deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free

    ##Debian UNSTABLE
    deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/ unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

    ##Debian security updates
    deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security sarge/updates main contrib non-free
    deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free
    What I was saying is that you need Debian "unstable" mirrors on the list to get the latest software. New versions of software first go into "unstable", then after some time/bug fixes, they move to "testing". Even though it says "unstable", it doesn't have major problems and many people run completely "unstable" software. Knoppix is a mixture of "testing" "unstable" and custom stuff.

    Once you have your sources.list file set up:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get -t unstable install openoffice.org
    There is a howto on this site for using apt and dpkg to install software, you should take a look at it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    'apt-get dist-upgrade' wants to REMOVE OpenOffice:

    I have done exactly according to your advices to remove original OpenOffice apt-get remove openoffice-de-en and then to install the new package apt-get install openoffice.org .

    Now I have a problem with dist-upgrade which wants to remove my new installation:

    root@TeraeNet:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Calculating Upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    dictionaries-common openoffice.org openoffice.org-bin
    openoffice.org-debian-files openoffice.org-l10n-en openoffice.org-l10n-fi
    openoffice.org-soikko

    I have added to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    # OpenOffice.org in Finnish:

    deb http://elonen.iki.fi/code/unofficial-debs/ ./

    and installed those Finnish language packages.

    What can be done to keep that new OOo when upgrading? My Knoppix installation is from 2004-2-16 package.


    SOLVED!!!

    I'm not sure what happened and why but now everything ist OK. If someone knows what happended, please tell me. This is what I have done:

    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install prelink
    apt-get install openoffice.org-crashrep
    apt-get install oooqs-kd
    e

    and then
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    without any packages to be removed!

    root@TeraeNet:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Calculating Upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    cloop-utils enigma foomatic-db-engine foomatic-filters gimp gq gtkam kdepim
    libautotrace3 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
    libopenh323-1.12.2 libperl5.8 libpt-1.5.2 libsdl-mixer1.2
    libsdl1.2debian-oss libtext-iconv-perl libwv2-1 libxml2-utils libxslt1.1 lyx
    lyx-common lyx-qt perl-base pppconfig xscreensaver
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
    root@TeraeNet:~#

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thanx for all your help guys!

    One more question. openoffice-de-en is the package name right?

    If I want to remove xine, what would I type? apt-get remove ????

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Yep...you have it right. If the obvious name doesn't work for a program you can do an "apt-cache search ???" to find the right name of the package. It looks like xine can be removed by apt-get remove libxine1.

    And it's a good idea to use -s (simulate) first to see what is going to be removed and such. For instance if I simulate removing libxine1 I get:

    Code:
    evan@knoppix:~$ sudo apt-get remove libxine1 -s
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      noatun-plugins
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      kaffeine kdemultimedia libarts1-xine libxine1 xine-ui
    The following packages will be upgraded
      noatun-plugins
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 543 not upgraded.
    Remv kaffeine (0.4.2-1.1 Debian:unstable)
    Remv kdemultimedia (4:3.2.2-1 Debian:unstable)
    Remv libarts1-xine (4:3.2.2-1 Debian:unstable)
    Inst noatun-plugins [4:3.2.1-1] (4:3.2.2-1 Debian:unstable)
    Remv xine-ui (0.9.23-2 Debian:testing)
    Remv libxine1 (1-rc3c-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf noatun-plugins (4:3.2.2-1 Debian:unstable)
    So it's going to remove KDEMultimedia. I'd have to get that reinstalled afterwards.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    This is what I keep getting.

    Chris@Static_C:~$ apt-get remove libxine1 -s
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    Chris@Static_C:~$ sudo apt-get remove libxine1 -s
    Chris is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
    Chris@Static_C:~$

    Do I need to use a root terminal? How I can I give myself sudo access? I added my account to the sudo group in KUser. But that didn't change anything.

    Thanks for helping!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Look in your other thread...the one about mounting your usb drive.

Similar Threads

  1. Uninstalling software
    By astump in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 10:13 PM
  2. uninstalling programs
    By s-r-b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
  3. Uninstalling Knoppix
    By anman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 03:49 AM
  4. uninstalling stuff ?
    By bigjohn in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 10:53 PM
  5. uninstalling knoppix
    By bigfootedman in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$17.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro picture

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro

$179.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D picture

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D

$339.99



Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter picture

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter

$34.99