Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Synaptic problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10

    Synaptic problem

    Hi
    I have installed Synaptic into my chrooted environment but get an error "synaptic:could not open display"

    I have read the instructions that say you have to export DISPLAY........
    #DISPLAY=myip:0.0 (replace my ip with your actual IP)
    #export DISPLAY
    #synaptic

    I have tried this with every combination I can think of but nothing is working. This is the output:-


    Setting up synaptic (0.16-6) ...

    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]# DISPLAY=211.26.141.228
    root@not a tty[/]# export DISPLAY
    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]# DISPLAY=203.134.64.66
    root@not a tty[/]# export DISPLAY
    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]# DISPLAY=127.0.0.1
    root@not a tty[/]# export DISPLAY
    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]# DISPLAY=iprimus:0.0
    root@not a tty[/]# export DISPLAY
    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for iprimus
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]# DISPLAY=203.134.14.21
    root@not a tty[/]# export DISPLAY
    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]# DISPLAY=iprimus:203.134.14.21
    root@not a tty[/]# export DISPLAY
    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]# DISPLAY=iprimus:0.0
    root@not a tty[/]# export DISPLAY
    root@not a tty[/]# synaptic
    _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for iprimus
    synaptic:could not open display
    root@not a tty[/]#

    I am obviously doing something wrong
    Thanks for any help
    Trish

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    6
    Hi, what you have to do is to open a knoppix shell and execute 'xhost +' to
    allow other users (such as root with synaptic) execute programs in your
    X-session.

    I hope it helps,

    Ramon Acedo

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10
    Hi Ramon
    Thanks for the tip.
    I 'think' I had already done that. My local Linux User Group guru also suggested that I do

    "DISPLAY=127.1.1.0:0.0" (myip being 127.0.0.1)

    but this didn't work.
    So I have given up (for now) until I have quite a bit more knowledge about Linux in general.


    Thanks
    Trish

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    43

    Re: Synaptic problem

    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents
    I have installed Synaptic into my chrooted environment but get an error "synaptic:could not open display"

    I have read the instructions that say you have to export DISPLAY........
    You have to enable the remote client host to connect at the X server. Open a terminal directly on your X server, as the user that did a startx or that logged into the X server. At the prompt, type:

    Code:
    $ xhost +127.0.0.1
    This permits the local host to connect. Then back at your client environment (chrooted was it?) run this:

    Code:
    # export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
    # synaptic
    ...and it should work.

    Just to be sure: don't type "$" or "#" ... but you knew that, right?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10
    Hi David
    That sounds very much like the 'missing link' I'll do that when I start 'playing; again.
    Thanks very much
    Trish

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Atitlan, Guatemala
    Posts
    1

    Synaptic installation in Knoppix 3.3 on HD

    Read the questions and comments above and did the following in terminal mode after an update from knoppix 3.3 2004-02-09 beta.

    --------
    root@water:/# xhost +127.0.0.1
    127.0.0.1 being added to access control list
    root@water:/# export display=127.0.0.1:0.0
    root@water:/# synaptic
    Package pcmcia-modules-2.4.8 has no section?!
    Package sysvinit-knoppix has no section?!

    root@water:/# debtags update
    Merging system vocabularies...
    Downloading tag database...
    Acquiring source http://people.debian.org/~enrico/tags/
    ....[snipped]
    Reading data from /var/cache/debtags/http___people_debian_org__enrico_tags_
    Done.
    root@water:/#synaptic
    ----------

    This works, but I have to start Synaptic as SU (and the quickest way that I know is in a terminal window) being a user not being root.
    I would like to have the small dialog 'run as root'. How can I do that?

    I also wonder about the 'no section ?!' errors, but that will be in another mail.

    Paul

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    5

    Still no X in chroot? PLEASE help me!

    I tried :
    knoppix$ xhost +
    knoppix# chroot (sources/KNOPPIX)
    no matter what I try, I keep getting 'GK Warning unable to open display.
    Does this really work for anyone? What else could I try to get this to work?
    I did a debian hd install and I tried it from there, and I tried it from the Knoppix 3.3 CD. I read the man pages on xhost, looked on the net for any other help and X in a chroot window just isnt working for me. Could someone PLEASE tell me step by step what they do to make this work?
    Help!!!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada B.C.
    Posts
    4

    i have a similar problem

    mine messes up do i dont know how to fix it

    here is what i get

    Code:
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    
    
    (synaptic:961): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    #DISPLAY=myip:0.0 ( replace "myip" with your actual IP)

    #export DISPLAY

Similar Threads

  1. Synaptic question
    By Pumpino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 04:49 AM
  2. GUI for APT - SYNAPTIC
    By legal in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM
  3. synaptic seems stuck
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 05:56 PM
  4. Synaptic
    By Fortran in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 06:11 PM
  5. Synaptic problem
    By my2cents in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95