I think I can help - check your email ..........Originally Posted by CWGCWG
BTW it gets pretty easy once you become familar with the new environment
regards
rob
I am using a "designed for WinXP" laptop system, and therefore cannot use my Winmodem. However I have a PCMCIA v.90 modem and hope to use that with my Knoppix CD. The Knoppix CD boots and comes up just fine.
However, being *totally* new to both Linux and Knoppix, I'm lost on getting dial PPP to work, and also saving the the dial settings on floppy so they can be reloaded each time. I just can't find anything on this in the Knoppix help files. No doubt something an experienced Linux person could solve quickly, but I have not such experience and am operating solo.
Any hints please on setting up dial up for ISP from the Knoppix CDROM. Help would be much appreciated.
P.S. So far, Knoppix looks like a super rich environment.
I think I can help - check your email ..........Originally Posted by CWGCWG
BTW it gets pretty easy once you become familar with the new environment
regards
rob
Could you mail me the info on how to get the modem to work too?
I just ordered the Knoppix 3.1 CD today.
Thanks,
[email protected]
I've come to the same problem, is the info on how to configure modems too long to post here? If so, I'll gladly contact you by email.Originally Posted by monkymind
Here's a text only version (I've had no feedback to the emails I sent - but it works for me)Originally Posted by monkymind
Dialout Configuration
1) Open the "KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet -> Modem Dialer " entry
2) When KPPP opens select the [Setup] button
3) kppp Configuration window opens & select [Device] tab
4) From the dropdown menu next to [Modem Device] select your com port
* /dev/ttyS0 for com 1
* /dev/ttyS1 fro com 2 etc
5) Then go to the [Connection Speed] entry & select [115200] for 56k modem
6) Click on the [Modem] tab and click on the [Query Modem] button
If everything has been setup correctly a window will pop open with the Modem Query Results
If it doesn't - try another com port step - 4) & retry step 6)
7) Click on the [Accounts] tab then the [New] button
8 ) Choose [Dialog setup]
9) Enter ISP name "my fav isp" etc. & the ISP's phone number when prompted
10) OK everything till you get back to KPPP window
11) Add your Login ID:
12) Add your Password:
13) Click on the [Connect] button
That should be it!![]()
regards
rob
I have a problem connecting to the Internet with my PCMCIA modem under Knoppix. Knoppix recognizes and installs the modem as /dev/ttyS4, but kPPP only shows connections for serial ports up to /dev/ttyS3. Is there any easy way to get kPPP to recognize /dev/ttyS4? Or alternately, get Knoppix to load the PCMCIA modem to a lower serial port assignment?
So far, this is the only problem that I've had running Knoppix on my Dell laptop.
Jim D.

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B)
$575.00
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New
$284.79
AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99