For this application, I think it might be better to use 3.2 or older.....I think 3.2 was the last version that you could boot off of a 1.4 floppy.Originally Posted by Ghandalfar
Rixel
For those of you trying to remaster these ISO's and then burn the files back to cdr. I personally use Roxio EZ CD Creator. I first start by creating a bootable cd. I set the Emulation to 2.88 floppy. I use the boot.img file that is located in the base folder. If you do not use an emulation and have it set to "no emulation" the cd will not boot.
For the Stalion and Vanilla editions. I am trying to find out how to change the firefox preffrences. I do not see the pref file in any folders. I would like to change the homepage and bookmarks....how would I do this in these newer versions. Thanks in advance.
For this application, I think it might be better to use 3.2 or older.....I think 3.2 was the last version that you could boot off of a 1.4 floppy.Originally Posted by Ghandalfar
Rixel
why is floppy booting more important then better hw support?
Warpath: I'm afraid they're both a bit unchangable without extracting mainmods .. Sorry about that. Will fix that with next release.![]()
My thought is that for an Internet kiosk using just one application, the latest hardware would probably not be used. I doubt that an Nvidia FX5600 ultra or dual Opterons will be in that machine.Originally Posted by Ghandalfar
More likely, the target machine would probably be an older pentium that may be donated to a library or school.
Just a thought.
Rixel
Oh, and it is easier to modify boot options with a floppy disk.
I agree with Rixel. My idea for the kiosk is to locate some retired 300mhz comps with all onboard components. Then remove the motherboards and put them into smaller cases. With just a cd-rom,case, and motherboard...you can pretty much fit it all into a miniATX case. Keep the comp just as simple as the kiosk live cd...no bells and whisles.
..Any chance of adding GAIM to the next version? would be cool to sit at the coffee shop and instant message some buds.
I've read through some of the posts here and tested out the firefox3.iso. I've taken a slightly different approach in creating a kiosk environment. You can download the scripts I wrote to facilitate creating a kiosk using firefox at boothbox.sourceforge.net. There's also a torrent available of the iso image I created after I remastered knoppix. I'll be updating the iso image in the next couple of days with some of the changes I've rolled into the latest livecd I've created. For now the image I've provided should provide a good base for people who want a fullscreen web kiosk.
I didn't quite understand how is it different from stallion livecd. Downloading torrent now ...
nice. Which WM are you using?
I'm using metacity to handle any windows that aren't opened fullscreen. I've also created a custom userChrome.css, edited the browser.js, and the browser.xul in order to lockdown the interface. I've been trying this out on two machines in the student life centre at my university and so far everyone has been happy with it.
I was thrilled when I found this thread! Great work! I'm excited to give it a spin.
Robustness and silence are two major qualities you want when designing a kiosk, and the best way to do that is to make it totally solid state: a fanless system using a IDE/CF adapter fitted with a CF card. Can the LiveCD be burned to a CF card? How big would the CF card need to be?

74Y6511 IBM 3Gb 2 Port PCI-E x8 SAS RAID Adapter 74Y6512 44V4199 W/ 1x Battery
$99.99
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
OWC ThunderBay 4 Four-Bay Thunderbolt (40Gb/s) External Storage Enclosure With
$639.99
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00