Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 251

Thread: Is there a knoppix Web Kiosk?

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    It probably is--but I'd like to be able to fine tune the list, since we have a number of printers that are detected by default, and I'd like to "guide" the public to the more logical printers on the subnet (i.e., NOT the one on a different floor).

    If this presents a significant challenge, then please disregard the request in leiu of the others (which are more important to me too), but I thought I'd through it into the mix.

    Thanks!

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi all,

    i've just tested morphix firefox, and i got to admit, it's a great distro.

    i'd just like to add something to the wishlist : flash plugin would be great.

    by the way, are you alone working on this distro Ghandalfar? If yes contact me if you accept some help, i'm really interested in this project.

    gregory at icilalune dot com

  3. #43
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    it's being autobuilt using ibuild so modularity is there ..

    find me in #morphix at freenode and we can have a little chat about it. I'd be happy to have someone to help me.

    I have to do some school work until tuesday, after that I'll have time to do all those things written before.

  4. #44
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Knoppix 3.6 & Kiosk

    Hi,

    I've added preliminary kiosk mode support to Knoppix 3.6.

    Try booting with:

    "knoppix desktop=kiosk url=http://www.mywebsite.com"

    cu

    Fabian

  5. #45
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    35
    Great addition, Fabian

    Any switches with it, or what file would be modified to have the location bar included?

    Thanks!

  6. #46
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixel
    Great addition, Fabian

    Any switches with it, or what file would be modified to have the location bar included?

    Thanks!
    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession does the kiosk setup.

    Btw. thanks goes to Kyle Ranking and the "Knoppix Hacks" book. I have got some ideas and the "do it now" from it.

    Kyle does also outline how to build a kiosk so the idea is basically from him, but I got permission to use it in Knoppix.

    cu

    Fabian

  7. #47
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Kick me for being stupid or ..

    Fabianx,

    When you say you added it to KNOPPIX 3.6 I don't quite understand. I have been working with V3.6-2004-08-16-en. That release is still on the mirrors and it doesn't have those switches (how could it, I downloaded my copy last month).

    Where can I download KNOPPIX 3.6 with your kiosk support and what is it called?

    Thanks, Steve

  8. #48
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    Kick me for being stupid or ..
    When you say you added it to KNOPPIX 3.6 I don't quite understand. I have been working with V3.6-2004-08-16-en. That release is still on the mirrors and it doesn't have those switches (how could it, I downloaded my copy last month).
    It has kiosk support.

    Have you tried to boot with it. What did happen?

    And I mean it has worked for Rixel or didn't it?

    cu

    Fabian

  9. #49
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Oh!

    No, I looked in the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt on my V3.6 CD and didn't find any mention so I assumed you had just added these codes within the last few days.

    One of the things I like about this business is my ego never gets a chance to become larger than my humility.

    Thank you Fabianx for your polite reply,

    Steve

  10. #50
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Okay, I like it so far. I was still able to break out by viewing source, edit, open a file or website. I'll look at prefs.js stuff in mozilla and adjust my remaster.

    I wasn't able to use url=http://some.website.com . When I look in the $HOME/kiosk.html file created from 45xsession script I can see it is written but the line, window.open("","", ... doesn't have my url as the first parameter; just empty string. This is my first time looking at scripts like this but the code seemed consistent with other desktop modes in the same script. I specified the parameter in my lilo, on the HD boot command line and also from booting the original 3.6 CD. I can always get kiosk mode but never the url I specified. I am not quoting the string or anything, just: desktop=kiosk url=http://the.websiteIwant.com . No trailing slash (The period between com and No is the end of my sentence, not part of the argument).

    Steve

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix for kiosk, how?
    By pinoylinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
  2. Kiosk Hardware
    By dragonwheels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
  3. hd-installed knoppix with kiosk mode twm
    By Eero in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:23 AM
  4. Kiosk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. Kiosk Knoppix for public libraries.
    By adamm in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1993 Digital Semiconductor DEC Ceramic PGA CPU – Alpha Era picture

Vintage 1993 Digital Semiconductor DEC Ceramic PGA CPU – Alpha Era

$150.00



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99



Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard  picture

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard

$249.95



Vintage Intel 486 Motherboard Socket3-i486 DX2-66 CPU & Maxed L2 Cache(W24257AK) picture

Vintage Intel 486 Motherboard Socket3-i486 DX2-66 CPU & Maxed L2 Cache(W24257AK)

$124.99



Vintage Tarbell Model 1011  D Circuit Board 1978 - Untested picture

Vintage Tarbell Model 1011 D Circuit Board 1978 - Untested

$130.00



Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC picture

Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC

$119.99



Vintage Sharp CE-126P Printer & Cassette Interface Rare with Instructions & Case picture

Vintage Sharp CE-126P Printer & Cassette Interface Rare with Instructions & Case

$99.99



Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive picture

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive

$114.88



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19