Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 251

Thread: Is there a knoppix Web Kiosk?

  1. #241
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Apparently I was wrong in my previous post about the BIOS controlling sleep-mode. It turns out that sleep-mode is controlled by LiveInfo, not the BIOS, and by default sleep-mode is enabled . I know this because I currently have sleep-mode disabled while running Knoppix using the same hardware. This is what I put in my boot script to disable it:

    setterm -blank 0
    setterm -noblank
    setterm -powersave off
    xset s off
    echo -n -e "\033[9;0]"

    Since touchscreens are an input device, by definition they should never go to sleep (it's like having a keyboard go asleep), so I'd encourage adding these commands to the LiveInfo distribution.

  2. #242
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    It seems "translucency" has a problem in Stallion and LiveInfo, but it seems like it can be easily fixed.

    (for newbies: LiveInfo is based on Morphix, which allows a cool feature called "translucency". This feature theoretically allows you to simply drop in some regular files in the /copy directory when you burn your CD, so that the files in that directory will automatically overlay any files that were created from the compressed file structure. It's a real easy way to customize a distribution).

    I succesfully used translucency to add support for my touchscreen driver by overlaying the XF86 files with modified ones that I put in the /copy directory of my CD. Although it worked great when I used a really old video card, when I used a newer video card (I tried 3 different ones) my computer always froze up.

    So there must be a clue there: cards that are too old to recognize the initial display modes will allow me to overlay XF86 settings, but newer cards that immediately display the startup splash screen can't overlay XF86 settings. Is it possible that this translucency problem could be avoided by not using the High-Res boot screen - or removing the XF86 files in the compressed image and including them in the /copy directory instead? ...just wondering out loud.

  3. #243
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1

    New LiveKiosk and LiveInfoPoint

    Just wanted to notify you that there are new releases of LiveKiosk and LiveInfoPoint at http://www.livecd.net

    Most of the problems are fixed now, and customisations are now way easier. If you miss some features or have some bug reports, don't hestitate to mail me (jure - at - livecd dot net)

  4. #244
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Customization?

    I can't seem to get the homepage to change from livecd.net and the font size buttons have tooltips that aren't in English. If I could get someone to help a n00b like me out with these two things, that would be really great. I've played with editing the prefs.js file in the .iso and moving the entire .mozilla folder from usersettings\examples\firefox to usersettings\firefox. So I now have usersettins\firefox\.mozilla with my customized prefs.js file and the homepage still loads to livecd.net.

  5. #245
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    tried putting just prefs.js into usersettings\firefox ?

    Thanks for the tooltip bugreport

  6. #246
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Got it!

    That worked like a charm, thanks. What about those tooltips?

  7. #247
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Next release is planned for end of next week.

    Current todo is in wiki: http://wiki.livecd.net/livecd/LiveKioskTodo

  8. #248
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Awesome guys! I was starting to think you'd fallen off the face of the earth. I can't wait to give it another whirl.

  9. #249
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    The new version of infopoint seems to have the same issues I had before - it stays frozen on the initial splash screen after the status bar completes.

    As I mentioned earlier - I don't seem to have this problem when I use old video cards - but only when I use new ones.

    Also, when I use old video cards, the splash screen doesn't appear. So is the splash screen causing it to freeze?

    Has anyone had success running infopoint with a new video card? What motherboard and card are you using?

  10. #250
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    There are new versions up LiveKiosk and LiveInfo at http://www.livecd.net . We also prepared Firefox LiveCD which is LiveCD with official binary version of firefox that you can fully customize without having to base it on our custumizations.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix for kiosk, how?
    By pinoylinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
  2. Kiosk Hardware
    By dragonwheels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
  3. hd-installed knoppix with kiosk mode twm
    By Eero in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:23 AM
  4. Kiosk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. Kiosk Knoppix for public libraries.
    By adamm in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DELL LSI 9460-16i 12Gb/s PCie x8 3.0 SATA/SAS Raid Controller Card - 042PDX picture

DELL LSI 9460-16i 12Gb/s PCie x8 3.0 SATA/SAS Raid Controller Card - 042PDX

$249.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH picture

1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH

$59.99