Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 251

Thread: Is there a knoppix Web Kiosk?

  1. #61
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    7
    Hello all. I have been reading all the messages about this project. I to am curious if there is any progress made. I am looking for a LIVE CD web browser to run small internet kiosks. I'm really interested in an easy way to edit the default homepage and default bookmarks. What I'm looking to do is set systems up in bars. The default hompage will be the establishments website, with news and updates, and the bookmarks will be for online casino gaming. So java and flash plugins would be needed also. Right now I currently use the Morphix Firefox-1. But it lacks... If anyone has a beta iso created already for download, that would be great. I'd love to test it out.

  2. #62
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Actually I have it ready for a few days now. Let me upload it somewhere.

  3. #63
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    http://www.ljudmila.org/~gandalf/firefox3.iso

    Changelog:

    * flash plugin [done ]
    * Change start-up bootsplash and color of progress bar [done]
    * Boot FireFox into fullscreen mode [done]
    * maybe make a bookmarks.txt file that could include a list of premade bookmarks, (or settings.txt config file) [done]
    * proxy.txt that gets scanned at boot where proxy info could be placed, maybe a few other minor items I forgot (or settings.txt config file) [done]
    * network configuration -- dhcp or fixed ip [done] (needs to add files to cd)

    There is also wiki: http://wiki.livecd.net/livecd/FireFox to which you can add items for the todo list.

  4. #64
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    7
    WOW, this is awesome!. I love it. Very clean and simple. Great job!
    I only have a few questions. How do I remaster the CD with preset bookmarks, proxy, oh and change the default home page?...When i explore the iso image, I do not see the bookmarks.txt, proxy.txt, setting.txt files. Do I create these myself? if so, how? and where do I put these files.

    Also I noticed that you can still get around the full screen mode on the browser. By clicking out of full screen mode (upper right hand corner) the user can still access the browser configurations. Anyway of making the browser permanently stay in full screen? and maybe just include a printer icon in full screen mode? Also is there away to add a java VM plugin or other java plugin, so that someone can play yahoo games, or use java based chat rooms?

    I once did a job at a univerity. In there library they had live cd internet kiosks terminals. The browser was netscape and had java & flash abblilities. I remember booting one up and seeing a verbose type of screen, so I think it was some form of knoppix or other. I just wish I knew where I could get that same live cd they were using. It also did something cool which you might consider...when you close out all the browsers and just see the desktop...5 secs later a new browser automatically opens to the default homepage, always keeping a browser window open for the next user.

    Oh, and how and where do I edit the file for a network printer? and could this printer just be a printer that is connected to a PC on the same network, or does it need to be a network printer pluged directly into the network?

    I know I am asking a lot, and I am obviously not a programer...I'm just a Live CD fan. I love this kiosk concept and think it has potential for being an easy way to setup low cost internet kiosk terminals anywhere. You have done an awesome job so far....keep up the good work!

  5. #65
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    WOW, this is awesome!. I love it. Very clean and simple. Great job!
    I only have a few questions. How do I remaster the CD with preset bookmarks, proxy, oh and change the default home page?...When i explore the iso image, I do not see the bookmarks.txt, proxy.txt, setting.txt files. Do I create these myself? if so, how? and where do I put these files.
    If you take a close look at cd you will see firefox/prefs.js that is used instead of the one that is inside home directory on cd - just to show the concept.

    There you can put following files:

    - prefs.js
    - bookmarks.html

    you can also put whole .mozilla folder there. So you have firefox/mozilla that gets copied into .mozilla folder. Please notice that with never releases of firefox the .firefox folder is gone and .mozilla/firefox/default.sth/ is used. (just in case you start looking over your files and wonder why no .firefox copying).

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    Also I noticed that you can still get around the full screen mode on the browser. By clicking out of full screen mode (upper right hand corner) the user can still access the browser configurations. Anyway of making the browser permanently stay in full screen? and maybe just include a printer icon in full screen mode?
    I'll have to dig into XUL to do this. One of these days ..

    Anyway, I'm not a big fan of such changes since most users won't close the browser anyway while others will because they'll feel more at home using it. I'd certanly be very nervus using full screen only browsing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    Also is there away to add a java VM plugin or other java plugin, so that someone can play yahoo games, or use java based chat rooms?
    Well, flash and adobe acrobat are already in. Java can also find a way in and soon will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    I once did a job at a univerity. In there library they had live cd internet kiosks terminals. The browser was netscape and had java & flash abblilities. I remember booting one up and seeing a verbose type of screen, so I think it was some form of knoppix or other. I just wish I knew where I could get that same live cd they were using. It also did something cool which you might consider...when you close out all the browsers and just see the desktop...5 secs later a new browser automatically opens to the default homepage, always keeping a browser window open for the next user.
    Good idea. I'll include it into next release.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    Oh, and how and where do I edit the file for a network printer? and could this printer just be a printer that is connected to a PC on the same network, or does it need to be a network printer pluged directly into the network?
    This version doesn't have printer support. Since I didn't feel that anyone really used it. Previous version automaticly detected CUPS printers on network and added them to firefox. If you know exactly what printer you have and how is connected special version can be made for your needs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    I know I am asking a lot, and I am obviously not a programer...I'm just a Live CD fan. I love this kiosk concept and think it has potential for being an easy way to setup low cost internet kiosk terminals anywhere. You have done an awesome job so far....keep up the good work!
    Thanks.

  6. #66
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    7
    hello. I was thinking to...If you have a new browser respawn after a set number of seconds from the time that all browser windows are closed....you would not need the taskbar with the web browser launch icon at the bottom. Since there will constently be a new browser window opening automatically. Not sure if you were thinking the samething.

    I was also curious...is there a way to change the desktop wallpaper? say to a customized one that I design.

    I'm also having trouble creating a new iso image after I have made my alterations. Im using Roxio, and the iso gets created, but when I go to burn the image to cd....it wont bootup?Basically all Im doing is taking the extracted files from your iso image and then creating a new iso of my own...any ideas?

    Thanks

  7. #67
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    hello. I was thinking to...If you have a new browser respawn after a set number of seconds from the time that all browser windows are closed....you would not need the taskbar with the web browser launch icon at the bottom. Since there will constently be a new browser window opening automatically. Not sure if you were thinking the samething.
    Taskbar at the bottom is useful if you want to add any extra stuff like 'network-conf', 'pppconf', 'thunderbird' etc. to give additional dimension to livecd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    I was also curious...is there a way to change the desktop wallpaper? say to a customized one that I design.
    You need to extract firefox1.mod and change the morphix/background.png file. If there is need it can be moved to outer-layer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpath
    I'm also having trouble creating a new iso image after I have made my alterations. Im using Roxio, and the iso gets created, but when I go to burn the image to cd....it wont bootup?Basically all Im doing is taking the extracted files from your iso image and then creating a new iso of my own...any ideas?
    Thanks
    You need to add boot image to iso image. There is base/boot.img file that you need to attach somehow to image to get it booting. Consult your documentation how you do that since I've never seen Roxio SW.

  8. #68
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    oh, if anyone wants to watch flash movie of how firefox3.iso looks like:

    here is a link: http://www.ljudmila.org/~gandalf/ff3.swf

  9. #69
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    7
    hmm, I'm using windowsXP...seems that there is not windows program that allows you to open and edit a MOD file. Atleast I couldnt find one online...still having trouble with recreating the iso. base/boot file to make the cd bootable. But it adds 2 boot files to the front of the cd. When the cd boots up, all I get is a black screen and GRUB....man, meybe a how-to .txt file added in would be helpful. instrustions on how to change the most common things. Unless you know of a good how-to section online?

  10. #70
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    you need linux since it's clooped .iso image

    I'm sure there are instructions inside knoppix.net docs how to do it or someone else can help you. I'd rather not flow into windows software waters right now.

    I know that when you use Nero you can select bootable cd/el torito cd and you can specify path to boot.img and that one is supposed to work.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix for kiosk, how?
    By pinoylinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
  2. Kiosk Hardware
    By dragonwheels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
  3. hd-installed knoppix with kiosk mode twm
    By Eero in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:23 AM
  4. Kiosk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. Kiosk Knoppix for public libraries.
    By adamm in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New  picture

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New

$1049.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99