Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 251

Thread: Is there a knoppix Web Kiosk?

  1. #71
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi Ghandalfar

    I really like your CD, well done!!

    Do you know how I can stop the monitor from going into power save?

    Thanks

  2. #72
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    Having printer support and xpdf would make this image perfect for me. I'd rather not bother you with the task of making my perfect kiosk CD. Is this as simple as putting the Cups and xpdf packages in /deb?

  3. #73
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by clmoxley
    Having printer support and xpdf would make this image perfect for me. I'd rather not bother you with the task of making my perfect kiosk CD. Is this as simple as putting the Cups and xpdf packages in /deb?
    version2 had built-in cups autodetection support and acroread I think

    version3 doesn't since I didn't see enough interest.

    If you want you can drop me a mail with more precise specs (homepage, and such) and I'll create an iso for you.

    I'd warn against just dropping things into deb/ since patches for xprint and cups are a bit more complex than this. Sadly.

  4. #74
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    @Ghandalfar:

    Thank you for your great work!

    But standard Acrobat and printer Support would be great! May you publish a generic iso-file?

    Additional Question: How can i change the keyboard layout in swiss german?

  5. #75
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    7
    Adding GAIM to the task bar would be cool. Or some other chat client program. Also, anyway of to get rid of the Firefox prompts asking if you want to store your password? and possibly disable all other prompts...just kinda annoying. I think to make it idiot proof for the user, less distractions and messages...the better.

  6. #76
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    thomasruch: generic iso file?

    Warpath: sure. Yet it will be different cd.

  7. #77
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Campbellville
    Posts
    1
    HI there Ghandalfar..

    This bootable browser is exactly what our school needed!

    Awsome work !!!!

    Do you know how to get rid of the "full screen / optons" button?
    ...so I can stop the little critters from "playing"

  8. #78
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Already working on this.

    Screenshot of interface of next version:


    I'll be making also version with GAIM and Thunderbird included (those will have panel on the bottom).

    I welcome comments about this new GUI.

  9. #79
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    This is a great implimentation. Here are a few observations on what I saw when I tested it:

    First of all, I have had to use cheat codes on recent versions on Knoppix to even boot. If I boot Knoppix without "knoppix noscsi acpi=off", I just hang with a blank screen. This CD does not need cheat codes (to boot, but see below). This leads me to question, is this actually Knoppix? If so is it based on a recent Knoppix or an older one? And if it is based on a recent Knoppix, does anyone have any idea why it boots on my HP laptop but normal Knoppix does not, and if the change can and should be carried back to normal Knoppix?

    Second, as I documented in a couple of threads in the Networking forum, Knoppix used to access the Internet just fine on my laptop, but the very same working CD stopped accessing the Internet. This seemed to happen right after I installed a Windows "security update". A few others have seen this too. I have a work around for Knoppix that involves resetting the NIC and rerunning netcardconfig. I take it there is no way I could do that with this version (which also has the networking problem on boot), since this is intended to be a kiosk type operation, but if I'm wrong about that please let me know.

  10. #80
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    It's not knoppix. It's morphix.

    I'm also working on Knoppix version for exactly the same reason - better hardware support.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix for kiosk, how?
    By pinoylinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
  2. Kiosk Hardware
    By dragonwheels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
  3. hd-installed knoppix with kiosk mode twm
    By Eero in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:23 AM
  4. Kiosk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. Kiosk Knoppix for public libraries.
    By adamm in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM 43W0331 System x3550 Server Board LGA771 DDR2 16 DIMM RJ-45 picture

IBM 43W0331 System x3550 Server Board LGA771 DDR2 16 DIMM RJ-45

$49.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99