-
11-22-2004, 09:34 PM
#111
Yes
Disabling Ctrl-Alt-Fn. Would be a very good idea.
I built a kiosk station from Suse Linux. Here are a few steps I took:
Disable Ctrl-Alt-FN. (I left one open, just in case)
Set Grub boot menu to load in 0 seconds.
I disabled Ctrl-Alt-Del. You could disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. I left
mine on just in case the GUI got locked. But since these distro's boot off
the CD then you don't really care about the FileSystem so disabling
Ctrl-Alt-BkSp would be ok. Then they would just need to reboot the
kiosk. I also locked down firefox as tight as I can. No right clicks,
no printing, they can't change anything except the address in the address
bar. Even then we don't let them browse off campus.
I set this up about 6 months ago and I was searching high/low for a bootable,
cd kiosk. Since I didn't find one I decided to build my own. The down side is that
I lost one of the partitions once when the power went out. If it was a cd I wouldn't have had that problem. But, (one more thing i'm doing) I tarred up the
home directory when I was finished. so on each reboot I delete the homedir and
recreate it. This just keeps things clean.
BB
-
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
#112
This is probably a morphix question... but what is the default resolution set at, and can it be changed? On my laptop the whole thing appears in a small window in the middle of my screen, I'm guessing it's a 800x600 window.
Thanks,
Dave
ps - LCD screens don't do non-default resolutions very well.
-
11-23-2004, 08:31 PM
#113

Originally Posted by
Ghandalfar
mataz: would disabling Ctrl+Alt+Fn solve all your security concerns?
Disabling Ctrl+Alt+Fn helps to prevent unwanted program execution.
Still, not giving root rights
is the only way to make things safe. In such case no script or program will alter the system. You may say that's not true; OK, I have seen c programs that will get root access on 2.24 kernel but anyway there are kernel updates for such security lags.
If the users rights are limited to usage (and nothing else), and kernel updates and a firewall are present, YOU MADE THE KIOSK VERY SAFE. :P
The UNIX multiuser systems were made to prevent users to mess up with administrators configurations in universitys and reserch-labs. Today IT-experts seam to forget how simple it is to stop junk from getting in the system.
That's it. I am happy to help you if I can.
P.s.
wanna know why winXP home is as unsafe as win9x/me?: they can't make a user without the installing, disinstalling and reconfiguring rights, they browse, they click, they INSTALL
).
-
12-01-2004, 12:01 AM
#114
I would like to add the Linux driver for a touchscreen (this one: http://www.enablemart.com/productdet...id=329&dept=21) to gandalfar's app. I've used linux for years, but am very new to programming in it (other than shell scripts).
Can someone tell me how would I go about adding a touchscreen driver like this? Thanks in advance!
-Dave
-
12-01-2004, 12:52 AM
#115
Senior Member
registered user
where can one get the driver?
-
12-01-2004, 02:51 PM
#116

Originally Posted by
Ghandalfar
where can one get the driver?
XFree86 has a driver for the "ELO" touch screen serial controller built in.
If the touch screen has another controller card or chip, usually the company website will have them. I've used ELO and Hampshire(TSHARC) controllers under linux. Be advised that calibration programs are written for Windows, but the resulting file can be used with the Linux drivers.
Hope this helps,
rbarnich
-
12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
#117
I'm certian the Elo drivers won't work. I like the add-on touchscreen better because an add-on touchscreen solution is much cheaper, and it's much easier (and cheaper) to replace in the event of vandalism. (you can also put a heavy duty piece of acrylic between it an the screen for added protection).
Here's the drivers for the add-on touchscreen: http://www.magictouch.com/support_proe_x.html
-Dave
-
12-22-2004, 01:20 AM
#118
of all the firefox kiosk iso.
which of the iso releases can can support 100% full screen without address bar, buttons, google searchbar.
it will display only the contents of the default page.
this is perfect for kiosk that will allow only specific website.
anyone?
-
12-22-2004, 04:38 AM
#119
Junior Member
registered user
That's exactly what I'm looking for too. Ghandalfar's Firefox livecd will work, but we'd need to go in and edit the firefox xml files and comment out those features. Not being all that proficient in Linux and busy on other projects, I haven't taken the time to dive in and see if I can figure it out. I'm off until the beginning of the year and hope to have some time next week to play. I've also been looking at doing something similar with Windows XP Embedded or BartPE since windows is a lot more familiar, but getting it to work under Linux would seem like more of an accomplishment. If I get something to work, I'll be sure to share, but if someone else beats me to it, I wouldn't mind either
I'd still need a way to customize the boot splash screens, desktop wallpaper and homepage. Ghandalfar was working on something like this a while back, a highly configurable kiosk, but he's a busy guy and is involved with more important things.
Bob
-
12-23-2004, 12:08 AM
#120
Senior Member
registered user
pinoylinux: what's wrong with stallion?
oitsubob: there are heavy plans to release new version before new year, or hopefuly in the first half of january..
Similar Threads
-
By pinoylinux in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
-
By dragonwheels in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
-
By Eero in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:23 AM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:13 AM
-
By adamm in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 30
Last Post: 06-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00

NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM
$299.99

Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$63.99