Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cant umount cdrom

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4

    Cant umount cdrom

    Hi everybody

    I have this "funny" problem with my cdrom. I can mount and view any cd but when I try to umount the cd from the cdrom, I keep getting "Device Resouce busy"

    I have tried as root the following:

    umount cdrom
    umount /cdrom
    umount -f /cdrom
    umount -n /cdrom

    I have the same result "device is busy" for all of this commands

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    Did you change directory to the cdrom? I know it sounds obvious, but I've tried it before. You can't umount the cdrom if you've cd'ed into it's directory structure. As root, try
    Code:
    cd /
    umount /dev/cdrom
    Hope this helps,

    BR

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    BR, thanks for your response. However, I have tried to change directory and issued the command from root directory (/) with the same result "Device Busy"

    Any other idea, anybody?

    Alfredo

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Someting still has the cdrom directory open. If you have a file manager open or an app that is accessing the cdrom drive it won't umount.

    Try this:

    mount

    Where is the drive mounted? Should be on /cdrom but you never know. You can umount the device itself or the mount point.

    umount /cdrom

    umount /dev/cdrom

    umount /dev/hdb

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    shut any app that might use/view/access files on the hdd. konqueror...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    ok, I issued the comand "mount" and I get the following:

    "/dev/cdrom on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,nohide)"

    Also, on my gnome desktop there is a cdrom icon with the name of my cd

    I tried the command you mention but again the same result "device busy"


    more ideas?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    Try the "lazy" command: umount -l /cdrom (that's an "el" not a "one")

Similar Threads

  1. user should umount root-mounted-drives
    By dipsy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8 umount problem
    By boutland in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 06:35 AM
  3. Unable to umount /KNOPPIX
    By Sgeo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
  4. /usr fail umount
    By andy_perkins in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 06:29 PM
  5. umount floppy?
    By Chris J in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2003, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$305.01



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00