-
My computer is screwed up my dad thinks knoppix is to blame
Well I downloaded the .iso knoppix file. And then I burned it to a cd using nero. nero asks you to put in a floppy disc to burn a bootable cd ( or is it a bootable floppy?) changed bios to boot at cd but it said my knoppix cd was invalid and it would not work. So I changed bios back to normal and it said starting windows but then it said there was a boot error. And my dad thinks it was the knoppix .iso file on my hardrive which was stopping windows boot up. but surley this is wrong as it was a .iso file cd image anyways I need someone really good at linux or computers or I may never get to use knoppix again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
my dad thinks it was the knoppix .iso file on my hardrive which was stopping windows boot up. but surley this is wrong
Yes, surely this is wrong indeed.
Amazing what people think. Make sure your computer is set to boot from the hard drive (in the BIOS), not the CD or the floppy, and assure your father that having an ISO file stored on your computer's hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with how it boots!
-
Senior Member
registered user
also another roblem would be you seems to burn the iso file as a bootable data file instead as an image. that WILL cause knoppix not to boot becuase your suppose to burn the iso file as an image.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: My computer is screwed up my dad thinks knoppix is to bl

Originally Posted by
bur372
Well I downloaded the .iso knoppix file. And then I burned it to a cd using nero. nero asks you to put in a floppy disc to burn a bootable cd ( or is it a bootable floppy?)
Really? It asked you to put in a floppy? I think perhaps you are misusing the software. You should simply have to Select File>Burn image, browse to your .iso and burn.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading
-
To burn knoppix as a image, in Nero, Would I burn it as a normal data disc? Or is there a special setting?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
just burn the image.
No data disc stuff, nothing.
Close any open dialogues,
select File,
then BUrn Image
then point to Knoppix.
it's the same issue as a diskette image: that also does not fit on a diskette, and will also not make a diskette bootable by just copying it to a diskette.
DON't compile a new cd, just burn the downloaded imagefile.
that's all.
(and don't even think about formatting cd-rw's)
-
Senior Member
registered user
no not cdrw's but i have DVD+RW's "formated" as ext2
-
Senior Member
registered user
make sure the floppy is not in the drive when you boot... try turning the system off completely (i.e. remove all power) before your next attempt.
Like the other have already said, just downloading and burning a knoppix iso cannot do any harm; I too use nero to burn knoppix nad have never had a problem...
good luck
-
Senior Member
registered user
I "REALLY" can't imagine that burning a CD would cause a computer to crash 
It doesn't matter "what" you burned to a CD, that would cause a system to not boot, it wouldn't matter if you changed the BIOS to boot from another device other than the hard drive to cause your system not to boot, it doesn't matter if you ran Nero to burn any CD, for that matter, that would cause your system not to boot...
The BIOS setting, at least in my system, only "points" to a place to boot, it doesn't "trash" a hard drive when you do that, never did on my system...
If the system is still refusing to boot from the hard drive, and you are "sure" the BIOS is "trying" to boot the hard drive, only thing I can think of is: maybe it was just time for the hard drive to crash? It happens. I have had a hard drive crash while in Windows, while booting Windows, while shutting down Windows, while even sitting idle. It just happens.
If your drive DID crash, it would have crashed if it was in Windows as well, it doesn't matter where, or what, the system is "running", drives just crash, when it is "there" time, period.
If your dad wants to blame it on Knoppix, thats fine, but the truth is, it would have crashed as well if your dad was booted into Windows too, and then he could have blamed Microsoft for that then. Heck, I'd have a long list of "companies" to blame if I went around with that attituide. Sheesh, Microsoft is one, Symantec is another, McAfee is yet another, IBM for its OS/2, DeskViewX, Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and why stop there? I can blame thousands of things on all those idiots that install "plugins" into my Internet Explorer - search bars, icons, search engines, screensavers, you name it. Any of those "nasty" cookies that "infest" my IE folder, sheesh, the list is endless.
Hmmmmmmm, come to think of it... I'm going to sue all the above companies and software distributers for making my system unstable, or for making it crash, just cause I was running them when my hard drive decided it was time to go "to the big bit-bucket in the sky".
Pardon me folks, I need to get a lawyer, next time I see you, I'm gonna be a rich woman...
Cuddles
[giggle]
Similar Threads
-
By nishtya in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By Stealth870 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:35 AM
-
By Bob_Ullet in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-28-2003, 03:32 AM
-
By jdong in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:16 AM
-
By WANDr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST
$159.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98