Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: after apt-get upgrade xdm default login

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3

    after apt-get upgrade xdm default login

    Hello first post here, must say I am loving Knoppix. I was searching for anything similar to my configuration problem and couldn't find anything. Basically, I did an apt-get upgrade, afterwards my graphical login changed to xdm instead of kdm. I can login normally to KDE with my username, but I would like to have the KDE login back, as it is a much more robust login. I launched ksysv and noticed that xdm and kdm both start (along with more stuff I don't need), when I remove xdm I get dropped to command line on boot. Also from that commandline I can just type kdm (as root) and get into the graphical login..great. But I want my box to start into the KDE login all the time. I also noticed watching the boot process that when it passes KDM it says it's not my default wm...blarg . Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3
    check the file /etc/X11/default-display-manager, it contains the binary for the default display manager

    Timo

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3
    hmmm thanks. I think I am on the right track, I pointed it to /etc/kde3/kdm although that might be wrong. It still won't boot into KDE but I might just have it pointing to the wrong place. Back to work

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by psoleko
    hmmm thanks. I think I am on the right track, I pointed it to /etc/kde3/kdm although that might be wrong. It still won't boot into KDE but I might just have it pointing to the wrong place. Back to work
    That would be incorrect then.
    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
    /usr/bin/kdm
    You should change it to this, here are a couple of other things to check.

    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# update-alternatives --display x-session-manager
    x-session-manager - status is auto.
     link currently points to /usr/bin/startkde
    /usr/bin/startkde - priority 40
    Current `best' version is /usr/bin/startkde.
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# cat .wmrc
    kde3
    You would need to use --config in the line if you need to change the session manager and you can just create the .wmrc in your home directory if it does not exist. If none of these work then try apt-get --reinstall install kdm to try and get back the default settings.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3
    That did it, I am back up with the nice KDE login. Also grabbed synaptic from apt-get, much nicer than dselect Thank you for the help Timos and Stephen, I have been messing with Linux since Red Hat 4 something, but have never dived into Debian (still a n00b though). Now to get WineX going for a little gaming

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    .wmrc is empty !

    I'm starting with linux and knoppix. I made a hd-install and created a new user. I could login normally into kde for some time, but now when I type username and passwd it sends me back and back to the login dialog. I can login through console without any problem, but only as root I get a kde environment. I checked all these previous posts and realized that file .wmrc in the user home directory is empty. I can write "kde3" inside the file, but it does not help. When I try to login again I find the file is empty again. some help please.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re: .wmrc is empty !

    Quote Originally Posted by rimsky
    I'm starting with linux and knoppix. I made a hd-install and created a new user. I could login normally into kde for some time, but now when I type username and passwd it sends me back and back to the login dialog. I can login through console without any problem, but only as root I get a kde environment. I checked all these previous posts and realized that file .wmrc in the user home directory is empty. I can write "kde3" inside the file, but it does not help. When I try to login again I find the file is empty again. some help please.
    I'm sorry, don't bother answering me, my disk was full..!

Similar Threads

  1. How to select default keyboard as German for login manger?
    By majo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
  2. Stange Login + Default Users
    By jeremymeindl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 01:06 AM
  3. want to make gdm default login manager my own live cd
    By gmwest5 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 08:57 AM
  4. KDE login fails after dist-upgrade...
    By danx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 12:53 AM
  5. Making kdm appear by default on login
    By clintonian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 10:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate 2.5

Seagate 2.5" Barracuda 1TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 2F110A-500

$19.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99