Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Cannot mount my thumbdrive!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    13

    Cannot mount my thumbdrive!!

    I started out playing with my new knoppix 3.3 live cd. Now I'm engaged in a fierce battle with it to make it function properly with my usb jump drive! Earlier today I had the jump drive formatted with ext2; knoppix recognized it in r/w mode and would mount it, but would not interact with it. After researching some previous posts, I determined I needed to format it in FAT16....which I did. However, it ended up with 4 partitions on it (funny, my windows machine didn't tell me that!)

    Anyway, I'm assuming that in order to proceed I must be able to mount them....but I'm given error messages stating that neither sda1,sda2,sda3, or sda4 can be mounted because they are "not a valid block device" . What the hell does that mean?!!?

    I fear I may be loosing this battle....I have precious little ammunition (knowledge) to "mount" a counterattack.

    Anybody have a suggestion??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    eeeh? 4 partitions?? try repartitioning it again, anf format in fat32. (fat 12, 16, 32... are all vfat).
    you shold then be able to reach it with the comand
    Code:
     mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/pen
    that in turn might require you to make the directory /mnt/pen but...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    13

    RE: Cannot mount my thumbdrive!!

    Well, I reformatted it in FAT32, but knoppix still sees partitions /sda1 thru /sda4. Neither one of which I can mount!!

    command: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/pen

    response: mount: mount point /mnt/pen does not exist

    command: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

    response: mount: mount point /mnt/usb does not exist

    command: fdisk /dev/sda (/sda1 thru /sda4)

    response: unable to open /dev/sda...........

    My linux "education" hasn't covered changing things in the directory yet...

    I've reformatted this drive on both my windows ME and XP. The fdisk command doesn't work for removable disks in ms-dos. So I'm at a loss on how to format this thing with one partition!! Please let me know if you can think of something else!!

    Thanks for responding!!!!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: RE: Cannot mount my thumbdrive!!

    Quote Originally Posted by knopphead
    Well, I reformatted it in FAT32, but knoppix still sees partitions /sda1 thru /sda4. Neither one of which I can mount!!

    command: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/pen

    response: mount: mount point /mnt/pen does not exist

    command: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

    response: mount: mount point /mnt/usb does not exist

    command: fdisk /dev/sda (/sda1 thru /sda4)

    response: unable to open /dev/sda...........

    My linux "education" hasn't covered changing things in the directory yet...

    I've reformatted this drive on both my windows ME and XP. The fdisk command doesn't work for removable disks in ms-dos. So I'm at a loss on how to format this thing with one partition!! Please let me know if you can think of something else!!

    Thanks for responding!!!!!
    I had the same exact problem when I tried to use my SONY Micro Vault drive.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ok, the errormessages tell me that you have no /mnt/pen directory, nor a /mnt/usb.
    do
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/usb
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/pen
    , now try again.
    it should work.
    now to the partitioning, I would try linux cfdisk to partition it, as root (you become root with the comands sudo su in knoppix)
    I would then use (still as root)
    Code:
    mkdosfs /dev/sda1
    to make the fat filesystem, it should work.
    there might be trouble with the drive under win though but...
    nothing alarming for me, just had to format it in win once.
    to quit being root you issue the comand exit (od ctrl+d).

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    13
    To: cfdisk
    knoppix responds:

    FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive
    Press any key to exit cfdisk

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mkdir /mnt/usb
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/usb': Permission denied

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mkdir /mnt/pen
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/pen': Permission denied

    I can create directories simply called usb @ pen :

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls
    Desktop pen tmp usb

    But nothing seem to be affected by it...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you have to make the directories as root perhaps.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    13
    Alright now....in root am able to cfdisk, but only my actual hda partitions are read, not the sda.

    So, I noticed all 4 of the sda partitions are in my home/desktop directory. When I created /usb and /pen directories I tried mounting them again, but no success....What am I doing incorrectly?

    I appreciate your replies....please bare with me!

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ok then you might get it working by doing
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /home/desktop/usb
    the mountpoint is any empty directory you want.
    it is just a place to "hang the painting", linux cares little for where that is, like any cat cares for correct placement of paintings, not a second glance (yes my cat is called Linux ).

    seriously, mountpoint i just a place where you go to access the files.
    if you make the dir in /mnt/ the code i gave earlyer should work.
    ok what does
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sda
    say? no not sda1, forget the 1 you want to see the whole disk.
    keep asking, i will try helping.
    what you do wrong. not much, it is me failing to explain.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    knopphead: why have you spread your questions so? it is hard for both me and you to follow he instructions.
    i have found you in 3 diferent topics.
    keep the usbthumbdrive Qestions in one (here? ) it is easyer to answer well then.
    if i know what you have tried and what info you have i can be clearer on instructions, as it is now it is a jiggsawpuzzle for you (and me).
    as for info on the disk. do
    Code:
    dmesg|grep sd
    post the output here, then
    Code:
    fdisk -l  /dev/sda
    and again post here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thumbdrive help
    By fidofido in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 08:09 PM
  2. Create a bootable knoppix on a 1 gig thumbdrive
    By Kethean in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
  3. Cannot see my thumbdrive
    By gdog in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 05:18 AM
  4. THUMBDRIVE locking up Knoppix...........why?
    By TROLL1357 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:19 AM
  5. Trek USB Thumbdrive
    By smbenton in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2003, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3

$59.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Infortrend EonStor A16U-G2430 16-Bay 3.5

Infortrend EonStor A16U-G2430 16-Bay 3.5" RAID Disk Array - Dual PSU

$199.00