-
Hello,
I am having the same problem with not being able to access the mounted USB thumb drive from my regular user account. I have tried changing the permissions, "chmod 777 /mnt/usbdrv", but still it doesn't work. It is interesting, when the USB drive is not mounted everybody has full access to the directory but as soon as I mount the USB drive the permissions of the directory changes. I don't understand it. I need help. Thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'll try and answer 2 questions with one
I said:
You want a line in /etc/fstab (if it's a HD install, it's probably already there: just remove the # in front of it):
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,sync,umask=000 0 0
Hmm, that confuses me. How does that work?
/etc/fstab defines what drives/partitions are where and what filesystems they use.
noauto = don't automount this
users = let users have read/write access to the drive/partition
exec = let people with appropriate permissions execute executables on this drive/partition
sync = synchronise read/writes (you won't need this for anything other than a hard drive)
the rest: see man fstab and man mount.
You might like to add yourself to the disk & usb group (you can use kuser to do this)
So, make the mount point, add a reference to it in /etc/fstab, add yourself to the disk & usb group, and as root do
mount -a
That's it. You can now right click on the desktop > create new > floppy device. (You can make a better pair of icons -- or I think a better pair -- by editing the usb symbol
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/usb.png
so that you also have a mounted version showing the green triangle at bottom right hand corner. Use the Gimp.)
-
It worked after I added the line in fstab and added myself to usb group. Now I can see the USB Device from the regular user account. I thank you all for your help.
Have a great day.
zarehz
Similar Threads
-
By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
-
By chris-harry in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
-
By kuser123 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
-
By NASAce in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
-
By blahblahblah in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$16.41

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W
$24.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99