Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Mounting USB HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16

    Mounting USB HDD

    Hi. How do I mount my USB hard drive? What device would it be? I tried right-clicking the desktop and doing create new>hard drive. But none of the listed devices will mount my hard drive. What am I missing? I don't think it's a USB problem, b/c my USB printer works perfectly.

    ????
    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Have you tried mounting /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 and such? I don't know what mount points you have in your fstab. If you don't have a mount point for it you could cd into mnt and "mkdir usbdrv" and then try "mount /dev/sda /mnt/usbdrv" or something.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    Ok. I've had some interesting results.

    Chris@Static_C:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda
    Chris is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
    Chris@Static_C:~$ mount /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: Input/output error
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
    Chris@Static_C:~$ mount /dev/sda1
    mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    Chris@Static_C:~$

    What's the deal w/ line 2? Who am I being reported to? Me? lol

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Dunno if you're using the CD or a HD install.

    You want a line in /etc/fstab (if it's a HD install, it's probably already there: just remove the # in front of it):

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,sync,umask=000 0 0


    (Note that this assumes that /mnt/sda1 already exists -- if not, create it, also that your usb drive is formatted with some kind of fat, if not, change the filesystem type)

    then (as root) do

    mount -a

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Static_C
    Ok. I've had some interesting results.

    Chris@Static_C:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda
    Chris is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
    Chris@Static_C:~$ mount /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: Input/output error
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
    The above command is an attempt at mounting the entire disc not just a partition.

    Chris@Static_C:~$ mount /dev/sda1
    mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    Chris@Static_C:~$
    Well what partitions do you have?

    fdisk -l /dev/sda

    It isn't necessary (albeit handy) to do anything to fstab to mount the drive. You can make any mount point you want like so:

    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mkdir /usb1
    mkdir /iamanapeman

    Then you can mount any partition to any mount point you like.

    mount /dev/sda1 /usb1
    mount /dev/sda2 /iamanapeman

    It just doesn't matter where you mount the drives as long as the mount point actually exists

    What's the deal w/ line 2? Who am I being reported to? Me? lol
    Just add yourself to /etc/sudoers and you won't get reported anymore. Don't feel bad, even root gets reported if he's not in that file.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Use the command visudo from within the root shell to edit the sudoers list btw. Uncomment out the knoppix user (remove the #) and change knoppix to whatever your username is.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    The above command is an attempt at mounting the entire disc not just a partition.
    It's the whole HDD I'm trying to mount. It isn't partitioned (yet). But even mounting sda1 doesn't work.


    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mkdir /usb1
    mkdir /iamanapeman

    Then you can mount any partition to any mount point you like.

    mount /dev/sda1 /usb1
    mount /dev/sda2 /iamanapeman
    So, if I mkdir and create the mount point, how do I point the USB drive to it? mount /dev/sda/mount point?

    Just add yourself to /etc/sudoers and you won't get reported anymore. Don't feel bad, even root gets reported if he's not in that file.
    lol I had to laugh when I read that.


    You want a line in /etc/fstab (if it's a HD install, it's probably already there: just remove the # in front of it):

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,sync,umask=000 0 0
    Hmm, that confuses me. How does that work?

    (Note that this assumes that /mnt/sda1 already exists -- if not, create it, also that your usb drive is formatted with some kind of fat, if not, change the filesystem type)
    The USB HDD is ntfs. I don't care about write access, I just want to be able to access the files.


    For some reason, Knoppix-STD doesn't give me this problem. I simply mount the drive, and that's it. I wish I knew why Knoppix 3.3 is so picky.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    Ok, update. I did mkdir /mnt/usb1 and mount /dev/sda1 as root. It let me do it ONLY from the root shell. But now I'm only able to access it from the root account. In my user account I tried right-clicking the desktop and creating a hard disk, then for Device I typed "/dev/sda1"

    It creates the icon on my desktop, but it doesn't allow me access when I try to open it. It only lets me do it if I'm in the root account (which I hate logging in under). I tried changing the permissions for the directory to allow group access in the properties window (as root), but it said it couldn't change permissions. I also couldn't access it straight from /mnt/usb1 (except as root).

    I'd really like to access this drive under my own account. Will changing the sudoers file do this?

    Use the command visudo from within the root shell to edit the sudoers list btw.
    Ok, I type visudo and it shows me the sudoers file, right?


    Uncomment out the knoppix user (remove the #) and change knoppix to whatever your username is.
    That will give me all the permissions that Knoppix user has? When you say "uncomment," does that mean that the statements w/ a # are considered comments, not executable? Like in programming? Anyway, after I type visudo from the root shell, how do I edit things? It mentions reading the man file, but I don't know which manual contains visudo.


    Thanks again for all the help! I appreciate the patience you must have.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Static_C
    Ok, update. I did mkdir /mnt/usb1 and mount /dev/sda1 as root. It let me do it ONLY from the root shell. But now I'm only able to access it from the root account. In my user account I tried right-clicking the desktop and creating a hard disk, then for Device I typed "/dev/sda1"
    chmod 777 /mnt/usb1

    Then all users will have acess to the drive. Root still needs to mount it but you don't have to log in as root. You can get root in a terminal or use sudo to mount the drive.

    It creates the icon on my desktop, but it doesn't allow me access when I try to open it. It only lets me do it if I'm in the root account (which I hate logging in under). I tried changing the permissions for the directory to allow group access in the properties window (as root), but it said it couldn't change permissions. I also couldn't access it straight from /mnt/usb1 (except as root).

    I'd really like to access this drive under my own account. Will changing the sudoers file do this?

    Use the command visudo from within the root shell to edit the sudoers list btw.
    Ok, I type visudo and it shows me the sudoers file, right?
    You can edit /etc/sudoers with any editor. It doesn't have to be vi (although I realize it tells you just that in /etc/sudoers). I prefer xedit myself as vi is about as friendly as a coiled rattlesnake.

    su
    xedit /etc/sudoers

    root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    Static_C ALL=(ALL) ALL

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thanks guys!

    I finally got around to trying this last night. It works now!

    I can mount from my user account as well.


    Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. problems with mounting a dvd iso
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
  2. My CDRom is not mounting or something like that.
    By chris-harry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
  3. NFS mounting problems!!!!
    By kuser123 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
  4. mounting problems
    By NASAce in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
  5. mounting harddrive
    By blahblahblah in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99