-
CD to HDD Installation Question(s)
I appologize for asking such question(s) if this is the wrong area to do it in. -- But if anyone could help me out, I would be most appreciative. Thank you in advance.
1) I know that an installation to the HDD can be started from the bootable knoppix CD, but am a little unsure of a few things. First off, will the installation to HDD automatically create a swap partition and new primary partition (or should that be done seperately in linux or windows-- and in what format? ext2?) and.. Second off, will the installation allow me to keep any existing partitions (say if I wanted to keep 1 non bootable primary NTFS partition) ; or will all the partition tables be wiped out?
2) Is it better in your respected opinion to install knoppix to HDD and "add to it", or to use the Debian Linux distro in a networked enviroment?
3) Is there any automation in knoppix to update the KDE enviroment with any patches; etc?
Thank You,
Tim
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Excalibur-DTE
I appologize for asking such question(s) if this is the wrong area to do it in. -- But if anyone could help me out, I would be most appreciative. Thank you in advance.
1) I know that an installation to the HDD can be started from the bootable knoppix CD, but am a little unsure of a few things. First off, will the installation to HDD automatically create a swap partition and new primary partition (or should that be done seperately in linux or windows-- and in what format? ext2?)
No, yes, linux, ext3 or reiser.
and.. Second off, will the installation allow me to keep any existing partitions (say if I wanted to keep 1 non bootable primary NTFS partition) ; or will all the partition tables be wiped out?
The partitioning utility you use be it cfdisk or qtparted is up to you to command. Only you can add, remove or create partitions. There is no capacity for automatic partitioning. You can keep whatever partitions you want as long as you give 3G or so to LInux which is BTW a minimum size. Swap is a must if you have less than 512M ram but I would suggest at least 1G of combined swap/system ram.
2) Is it better in your respected opinion to install knoppix to HDD and "add to it", or to use the Debian Linux distro in a networked enviroment?
I prefer to install Debian from either floppies or cdrom w/ the new sarge installer. If I were to install a live cd to hdd it would be Kanotix.
3) Is there any automation in knoppix to update the KDE enviroment with any patches; etc?
Thank You,
Tim
Not that I know of but you can use apt to get the latest packages from debian.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
-
By rayesteq in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-23-2004, 11:46 PM
-
By ClubMed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 12:44 AM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
-
By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

Renaissance Media Recovery Computer Data Tape Reel TPT Certified 6250 BPI Super
$148.66

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)
$350.00

Scotch 8104J 10.5" Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe
$29.99

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93