Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
I just installed Knopix to HD and set the language to GB (UK english) in KDE. I found that whanever I use a console either in KDE or remotely via SSH all the menu options in nano or messages in VI appear as question marks i.e. "??????". Any text I type appears normal.
I have tried dpkg-reconfigure locales and setting the default language to english UK but no change in symptoms, even after reboot.
What's going on?
Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
OK, tried that. Selected British keyboard.
Still no change. If you are familiar with pico/nano, this is what I get at the bottom of the screen...
and this is the welcome screen of vi...[ ????? ???? ]
^G ???????? ^O ???????? ^R ???. ???? ^Y ???.????. ^K ???????? ^C ???????
^X ????? ^J ???????????? ^W ????? ^V ????.????. ^U ????????? ^T ????????
The strange thing is that man pages render perfectly OK.Vim - ?????????? Vi
~
~ ??????: 6.2.149
~ ?????: Bram Moolenaar ?? ??.
~ Vim ?? ???????? ????????, ?? ?????? ?????? ??????????????? ??
~
~ ?????????? ??????? ? ??????!
~ :help iccf<Enter> ???????? ??????????
~
~ :q<Enter> ????? ? Vim
~ :help<Enter> ??? <F1> ???????? ????????
~ :help version6<Enter> ?????????? ??? Vim 6

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Retro Working Macintosh SE SE30 Analog Board 820-0206-B 630-0147 w/Power Supply
$107.95
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$100.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac
$35.00
VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00