Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
I just installed Knopix to HD and set the language to GB (UK english) in KDE. I found that whanever I use a console either in KDE or remotely via SSH all the menu options in nano or messages in VI appear as question marks i.e. "??????". Any text I type appears normal.
I have tried dpkg-reconfigure locales and setting the default language to english UK but no change in symptoms, even after reboot.
What's going on?
Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
OK, tried that. Selected British keyboard.
Still no change. If you are familiar with pico/nano, this is what I get at the bottom of the screen...
and this is the welcome screen of vi...[ ????? ???? ]
^G ???????? ^O ???????? ^R ???. ???? ^Y ???.????. ^K ???????? ^C ???????
^X ????? ^J ???????????? ^W ????? ^V ????.????. ^U ????????? ^T ????????
The strange thing is that man pages render perfectly OK.Vim - ?????????? Vi
~
~ ??????: 6.2.149
~ ?????: Bram Moolenaar ?? ??.
~ Vim ?? ???????? ????????, ?? ?????? ?????? ??????????????? ??
~
~ ?????????? ??????? ? ??????!
~ :help iccf<Enter> ???????? ??????????
~
~ :q<Enter> ????? ? Vim
~ :help<Enter> ??? <F1> ???????? ????????
~ :help version6<Enter> ?????????? ??? Vim 6

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC
$115.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00