Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
I just installed Knopix to HD and set the language to GB (UK english) in KDE. I found that whanever I use a console either in KDE or remotely via SSH all the menu options in nano or messages in VI appear as question marks i.e. "??????". Any text I type appears normal.
I have tried dpkg-reconfigure locales and setting the default language to english UK but no change in symptoms, even after reboot.
What's going on?
Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
OK, tried that. Selected British keyboard.
Still no change. If you are familiar with pico/nano, this is what I get at the bottom of the screen...
and this is the welcome screen of vi...[ ????? ???? ]
^G ???????? ^O ???????? ^R ???. ???? ^Y ???.????. ^K ???????? ^C ???????
^X ????? ^J ???????????? ^W ????? ^V ????.????. ^U ????????? ^T ????????
The strange thing is that man pages render perfectly OK.Vim - ?????????? Vi
~
~ ??????: 6.2.149
~ ?????: Bram Moolenaar ?? ??.
~ Vim ?? ???????? ????????, ?? ?????? ?????? ??????????????? ??
~
~ ?????????? ??????? ? ??????!
~ :help iccf<Enter> ???????? ??????????
~
~ :q<Enter> ????? ? Vim
~ :help<Enter> ??? <F1> ???????? ????????
~ :help version6<Enter> ?????????? ??? Vim 6

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99