seems to be a nice remaster (especially for those with certain USB/PCI DSL modems), however the kernel is still 2.4.x :(
seems to be a nice remaster (especially for those with certain USB/PCI DSL modems), however the kernel is still 2.4.x :(
...yes, but it's completely based upon sid and targeted for a smooth hd install. So you don't have the updating problems as in knoppix after dist upgrade.
Ciao Martin
As has been pointed out on various technical sites (search around the Waiting for 3.4 threads for someone's link), the only real amazing speed boost in 2.6.3 was on server-based stuff. 2.4.24 was faster for desktop computing uses.
Now, we're up to 2.6.5 and 2.4.26 so things may have changed, but 2.4 is still not exactly a slouch.
Yet anyway.
I just did a konotix bh5 hd-install yesterday, a "knoppix-install" autodetection at boot-up. It is a faster running system and much easier to upgrade than the previous knoppix hd installs I had done.
~rock
Hi rock,
real programmers use KANOTIX, you're welcome...![]()
Ciao Martin
Don't really care about speed, especially considering this is a P2 PE 333Mhz with only 128 MB of RAM...Originally Posted by Crusader
I'm interested in better firewire support (I have no internal HDD; my HDD is in a firewall enclosure that I connect to using a firewire pc card), that's why I want the new kernel. Firewire suppprt in 2.4 is still pretty rough (it's labelled 'experimental' afterall).
horo, you say that real programmers use KANOTIX. Why is that? What is KANOTIX all about? I haven't had a chance to try it.
TIA,
AJG
Hi Jorge,
Kanotix is created by Kano, the "German Knoppix Forum Guru" (>5000 helpful posts). He has worked around many Knoppix bugs, e.g. you are able to install on hd and "apt-get" the System to your need without the fear of breaking important parts.
Kanotix has some booting problems because it uses a 2.88 MB floppy image instead of the standard 1.44 MB image, but it is definitely worth a try!
Ciao Martin
P.S.: Kanotix is released about once a month![]()
Hi A. Jorge Garcia
I am a fan of kanotix. I have been using BH5
to learn CVS. It has the cvs engine and
the gui front end Cervisia. I know this I beyond
the secondary school level but it might make
a cool and inspiring demonstration for your
students. I assume you have time on
your hands
You can scroll two versions of a code and
see in color deletions additions and moved code.
You can see log views of project lines branching and merging.
It could show how large projects need team work and
special tool to deal with complexity.
Best Wishes
paradocs

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
2U AI MINING SERVER 2x Xeon 36 cores 2.3Ghz DDR4 2x NVIDIA V100 GPU PCIe 2PS USA
$799.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY.
$49.99