Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: help! burning a Knoppix dvd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140

    help! burning a Knoppix dvd

    Seems that fat 32 does not like files over 2 gigs. NTFS on XP pro seems to be ok with files over 2 gig as does linux fs. I have managed to remaster 3.4 ct. boots in english with nvidia drivers loads of games and other apps. Thing is that the iso was 1.8 gig I copied the ISO to a fat 32 partition and burned the iso to dvd from windows.
    Next I tried to modify the iso-top dvd. I have it the way want. I have the 2.1 gig iso to burn to the dvd.
    Here is the problem:
    1.) I can’t burn the dvd from knoppix because there is a Knoppix dvd in the drive.
    2.) I can't get the iso to windows because the file is too big for fat 32. The partition is 10 gig. I also tried formatting the partition NTFS and use NTFS captive. That said operation not permitted after copying about 1.1 gig.
    Here is my question:
    1.) Assuming that my file structure is as would be created by using remastering how-to in the doc section (with isolinux) is there a way to create a floppy boot disk that would boot my remastered iso from the hard drive? ( isolinux is nested about 3 layers deep)
    2.) Is there a Linux command line command that I can use that would burn the image to the dvd? Maybe I could use damn small loaded into ram to free up the dvd drive
    3.) The actual KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX was slightly smaller than 2 gig so I was able to recreate the entire file structure in a directory in windows. I tried to recreate the iso I got the error opps cant find /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
    Does anyone know the windows command line that would create the iso file?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    I got the dvd burned. There was an uncompressed file called tools it was 300 meg. Mostly open source stuff for windows and German documentation. I removed it. With the extra space I put in evolution and quake 2. At 1.9 gig I could copy it to the fat 32 partition, then open windows and copy the iso over into my NTFS and burn it with Nero.
    The problem remains though. I want to eventually be able to burn an image greater than 2 gig and I want to try avoiding a bootloader. Ideally I would like to be able to boot my remaster with a floppy from where it resides on the disk and burn the DVD with kb3. can anyone help?

Similar Threads

  1. Burning CDs in Knoppix..?
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 07:24 PM
  2. Burning Knoppix
    By raindrop in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 07:06 AM
  3. Help on Burning Knoppix into CD
    By crazysniper22 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 09:48 PM
  4. knoppix burning in cd-rom
    By E-Compagnie in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 07:01 PM
  5. Burning Knoppix
    By Havoc in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 β€” 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 β€” 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99