Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Fix an FAQ!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    Fix an FAQ!

    The FAQ Samba Quick needs updating I think. Maybe my setup is different [I'm running of the CD] but the line

    Code:
    mount -t smbfs -u username=foo,password=bar //windowsbox/sharename /mnt/myshare
    
    should have the -u changed to -o
    
    mount -t smbfs -o username=foo,password=bar //windowsbox/sharename /mnt/myshare
    definition of pain--spending 3+ hours trying to figure it out!

    I found a cool page from IBM about setting up Samba. I's got some neat (and simple) steps to change & test one thing at a time to get going! It's for Linux-to-AS/400 [iSeries] connection, but it's pretty good.

    to the google cache (pdf-html)
    http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    search: ibm as400 file shares linux client


    p.s. how do you get rid of the overtyping in the root shell--it's really hard to see what you're doing.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Good point. I made the change. Next time you need to mount a samba share and can't remember the syntax, enter the command "smbmount" with out any arguments and you will get the help screen with the last line of
    mount -t smbfs -o username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test /data/test
    to use as a reference for your mount command.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    Thanks

    Thanks, that was quick. Wow!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1

    tdb(null): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/run/samba/u

    Hi,

    I tried to mount -t smbfs, but received error tdb(null): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/run/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory.

    Anyone can advise what happened?

    Thank you

    Cheers,
    Tjioe

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    I get the same message (3 times), but I still get a password prompt and a successfull log on. Do you get a password prompt? I do not include the "password=" option when I mount smb shares.

  6. #6

    Re: tdb(null): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/run/sam

    Quote Originally Posted by frenky
    Hi,

    I tried to mount -t smbfs, but received error tdb(null): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/run/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory.

    Anyone can advise what happened?

    Thank you

    Cheers,
    Tjioe
    I found this work around online. I don't know if it will work in your situation. Try typing:

    Code:
    sudo touch /var/run/samba/unexpected.tdb
    Let us know if this fixes the problem. If it does, it appears that the samba implementation is missing the unexpected.tdb file and by creating it (with touch) you are diverting the error messages. This probably isn't a full blown fix as unexpected.tdb probably does something important... but it appears that it works around the problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M710Q Micro Intel Core i5-7500T 2.7GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M710Q Micro Intel Core i5-7500T 2.7GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS

$69.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro

$240.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED

$300.00



Intel NUC 8 NUC8BEK Mini PC Core i3 8th Gen 8GB 128GB SSD Black picture

Intel NUC 8 NUC8BEK Mini PC Core i3 8th Gen 8GB 128GB SSD Black

$100.00



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21