Just got my first knoppix CD.
WOW! Awsome distro -- detected all my h/ware (including Wacom tablet and my mp3 player) -- and I was up an running in seconds!
I'm in love!
Anyway, two quick questions. I have my (usb) mp3 player's free space available as /mnt/sda1, so I remounted it as writable. (Yippe, now with a CD and my mp3 player I can carry my OS and files with me!) My questions are:
1. If I save a knoppix config file to /mnt/sda1, will that just save my preferences or will hardware detection be affected when I shift computers?
2. I re-insall all the pref files for GIMP on each re-boot, I assume I can install all those files onto /mnt/sda1 and update my config file, yes? How? ...and how much space do those temp gimp files use?
I reckon you could make an army of temp-ing/casual staff happy with a knoppix + usb storage bundle: their desktop would travel with them, and client files would be read-only by default.
Very happy from day 1.
![]()

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections
$68.00
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Remote Desktop User & Device RDS CALs for Windows Server 2025, 2022 & 2019
$174.99