-
Senior Member
registered user
Truth be told, I've just got the one distro on here. (I managed to screw up Knoppix by trying to install the kde-games package and forgot to specify version numbers, so it began upgrading all of KDE to the latest version. For kicks and grins I followed it to its logical conclusion, and it still ran, but it did install/change some low-level init scripts that conflicted with Knoppix's init scripts, so I just decided to start over with a fresh install.)
I'm very wary of LILO and GRUB. I have an old computer that used to be my main one, that had Win9x on it, where for some reason neither would work. Both would hang. I had to repair the MBR on it three separate times after various experiments. The last time, I had carefully made a GRUB boot floppy and it worked just fine, so I knew "menu.lst" was correct, but it didn't work once on the hard disk. Ended up using LOADLIN from the DOS prompt.
This can be nervewracking when you don't have a backup... 
On this Win2K box I use a version of GRUB for Windows, made by the Topologilinux guys, that lives on the NTFS partition and is accessed through NTLdr. (I also upgraded the version of Windows on that old computer mentioned above, and use the Topologilinux GRUB on that one to boot into Red Hat.) Using it to triple boot would just be a matter of editing "menu.lst".
The only downside to it is that you have to reinstall it after you defrag your NTFS partition. And it doesn't work with Win9x.
Similar Threads
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 09:41 AM
-
By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By jfsebastian in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 06:40 PM
-
By mmw1231 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-24-2004, 02:18 AM
-
By pilovis in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Intel Core i7-10700K 3.80GHz 8 Core SRH72 16 Thread LGA 1200
$275.00

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$120.85

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor
$27.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

Intel® Core™ i7-10700K 3.80GHz 8-Core Processor (SRH72)
$145.00

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00