-
Junior Member
registered user
hdd-installed knoppix 3.3 - Bios fails on reboot
Last night I did a hdd install of knoppix 3.3 (16-2-04) build.
It installed without a hitch.
I had to do some work in windows XP for a bit, so I logged out of knoppix and rebooted.
Then my machine bios hung at detecting hard drive.
I had to clear cmos & leave the machine with the powerlead removed for 30 minutes before I could reboot!
Don't want to have to do this everytime I finish using knoppix!
When I originally booted the knoppix CD i passed the argument DMA - could this cause such a serious problem?
--
Brian
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do you have a pile of junk built by Dell? Search for Dell here and you'll find that it's (almost) unique to them.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
fingers99
Do you have a pile of junk built by Dell? Search for Dell here and you'll find that it's (almost) unique to them.
Uh, no, I have a home built system
Duron 1.2Ghz on VIA Apollo kt266 based motherboard
512mb ram,
2 x 80gig Seagate Baracudda drives
Generic CDRW, & generic DVD drive.
--
Brian
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't think anyone has sucessfully identified what it is that makes the Dell boxen behave pretty much as yours is.
But a (sort of) solution is to turn the box off and hit the on button a few times with the power disconnected.
I wonder if this has been addressed by a bios update? Might be worthwhile informing the mobo manufacturers: it really shouldn't be doing this......
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
fingers99
I don't think anyone has sucessfully identified what it is that makes the Dell boxen behave pretty much as yours is.
But a (sort of) solution is to turn the box off and hit the on button a few times with the power disconnected.
I wonder if this has been addressed by a bios update? Might be worthwhile informing the mobo manufacturers: it really shouldn't be doing this......
I have the most recent bios. Its a Matsonic MS8137C mainboard
--
Brian
-
Junior Member
registered user
Have you found a solution yet? I have a similar problem. When rebooting, my bios will hang. The only way to stop it from happening is to completely deleate my Linux partitions. Even reformatting them does nothing. This is really pissing me off. Who did M$ payoff for this one?
BTW: I have an HP.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It'd certainly be worthwhile contacting HP who have a pretty good history of Linux suport. This really shouldn't happen. Have you tried the trick which works with the Dells?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for responding.
The power button trick? No I haven't. Next time it starts up w/ me, I'll give it a shot. You unplug it, and quickly press the power button a few times? Is this like a "hard" reboot process?
HP is known to be good w/ Linux? That's good to know. I'll email them now.
So, what is it about Dell that's non Linux-friendly?
I might be moving sometime this year, and will probably buy a new machine. How is Alienware w/ Linux?
Thanks again!
-
Senior Member
registered user
You I have that problem to. ONly all I have is a NTFS and recovery partition (HP pavillion 520n) it locks up on boot sometimes and I have to turn it off then back on quickly to get it to work. I tried it will an old 8 gig that I installed debian to and the same thing happens. I tried to flash the bios with a new update but the program can't find the chip.
Sigh.... A new computer would be good right about now. it seems everything hardware related that can, has gone wrong.
Similar Threads
-
By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
-
By paranerd in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-08-2004, 01:26 AM
-
By Capiora in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 02:34 PM
-
By Rib in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
-
By Buttersoft in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$155.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested
$299.00

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$99.00

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer
$95.00

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces
$40.99