Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: hdd-installed knoppix 3.3 - Bios fails on reboot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13

    hdd-installed knoppix 3.3 - Bios fails on reboot

    Last night I did a hdd install of knoppix 3.3 (16-2-04) build.

    It installed without a hitch.

    I had to do some work in windows XP for a bit, so I logged out of knoppix and rebooted.


    Then my machine bios hung at detecting hard drive.

    I had to clear cmos & leave the machine with the powerlead removed for 30 minutes before I could reboot!

    Don't want to have to do this everytime I finish using knoppix!

    When I originally booted the knoppix CD i passed the argument DMA - could this cause such a serious problem?

    --
    Brian

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Do you have a pile of junk built by Dell? Search for Dell here and you'll find that it's (almost) unique to them.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Do you have a pile of junk built by Dell? Search for Dell here and you'll find that it's (almost) unique to them.
    Uh, no, I have a home built system

    Duron 1.2Ghz on VIA Apollo kt266 based motherboard

    512mb ram,

    2 x 80gig Seagate Baracudda drives

    Generic CDRW, & generic DVD drive.

    --
    Brian

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I don't think anyone has sucessfully identified what it is that makes the Dell boxen behave pretty much as yours is.

    But a (sort of) solution is to turn the box off and hit the on button a few times with the power disconnected.

    I wonder if this has been addressed by a bios update? Might be worthwhile informing the mobo manufacturers: it really shouldn't be doing this......

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    I don't think anyone has sucessfully identified what it is that makes the Dell boxen behave pretty much as yours is.

    But a (sort of) solution is to turn the box off and hit the on button a few times with the power disconnected.

    I wonder if this has been addressed by a bios update? Might be worthwhile informing the mobo manufacturers: it really shouldn't be doing this......
    I have the most recent bios. Its a Matsonic MS8137C mainboard

    --
    Brian

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    Have you found a solution yet? I have a similar problem. When rebooting, my bios will hang. The only way to stop it from happening is to completely deleate my Linux partitions. Even reformatting them does nothing. This is really pissing me off. Who did M$ payoff for this one?

    BTW: I have an HP.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    BTW: I have an HP
    It'd certainly be worthwhile contacting HP who have a pretty good history of Linux suport. This really shouldn't happen. Have you tried the trick which works with the Dells?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for responding.

    The power button trick? No I haven't. Next time it starts up w/ me, I'll give it a shot. You unplug it, and quickly press the power button a few times? Is this like a "hard" reboot process?

    HP is known to be good w/ Linux? That's good to know. I'll email them now. So, what is it about Dell that's non Linux-friendly?

    I might be moving sometime this year, and will probably buy a new machine. How is Alienware w/ Linux?

    Thanks again!

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You I have that problem to. ONly all I have is a NTFS and recovery partition (HP pavillion 520n) it locks up on boot sometimes and I have to turn it off then back on quickly to get it to work. I tried it will an old 8 gig that I installed debian to and the same thing happens. I tried to flash the bios with a new update but the program can't find the chip.

    Sigh.... A new computer would be good right about now. it seems everything hardware related that can, has gone wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. ACPI:BIOS age (2001) Fails cut off (2002) acpi=force
    By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
  2. Is it possible that knoppix reset my BIOS to PNP=YES?
    By paranerd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 01:26 AM
  3. Install Knoppix with Bios Bootloader
    By Capiora in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 02:34 PM
  4. CD Boot works, HDD Installed boot fails at second hurdle
    By Rib in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
  5. Knoppix on a BIOS
    By Buttersoft in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00