Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AfterStep and Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6

    AfterStep and Knoppix

    Hi All,

    I am looking for anyone who is using AfterStep with Knoppix. I tried compiling and installing it. But it has troubles trying to find files like .xinitrc.

    I am relatively new to linux "although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well I haven't tried to compile it but why not just get it from Debian?

    apt-get install afterstep

    Want to fins out what else there is in Debian for Afterstep?

    apt-cache search afterstep

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6
    I ran the commands you suggested and get

    I had to first do an apt-get update first

    I then ran it, it installed. now how do I get it started. Do I just reboot?

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by radman
    I then ran it, it installed. now how do I get it started. Do I just reboot?

    Thanks for your help.
    heheh you ARE a windows user aren't you? =) No reboting necessary. In fact I almost never reboot unless it's to re-read a partition table or boot a new kernel. Anyway......

    I'm not overly familiar with KDM but when you log in it *should* let you choose afterstep as your window manager. If not then you either need to get it into the wm selection menu of KDM or startx from cli

    which afterstep

    that will tell you where the exectutable is- then something like......

    startx /usr/bin/afterstep

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6
    Hehe, yes I am. Working on being more though.

    Thanks for the help. I have it running. It is going to take alot of playing around to get use to in in Linux. I used it years ago as an Explorer replacement in windows an liked it.

    I have a couple of books on the way, so hopefully it will all start to get more familiar.


    Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    I don't know if afterstep was a replacement for explorer, but perhaps you were referring to Litestep? Litestep was the ultimate explorer replacement I know, and it was extremely powerful and configurable thru text files like in linux. Once I used that I wouldn't go back to explorer.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6
    yeah that was it LiteStep, can that be used with windows 2000?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Of course, I used it with NT4, w2k, and wxppro, all with no problems. W2k does have some quirks when using litestep, but by and large, it works fine, provided you're willing to do some editing of your rc files.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good picture

Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good

$39.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$179.99



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00