Well I haven't tried to compile it but why not just get it from Debian?
apt-get install afterstep
Want to fins out what else there is in Debian for Afterstep?
apt-cache search afterstep
Hi All,
I am looking for anyone who is using AfterStep with Knoppix. I tried compiling and installing it. But it has troubles trying to find files like .xinitrc.
I am relatively new to linux "although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well I haven't tried to compile it but why not just get it from Debian?
apt-get install afterstep
Want to fins out what else there is in Debian for Afterstep?
apt-cache search afterstep
I ran the commands you suggested and get
I had to first do an apt-get update first
I then ran it, it installed. now how do I get it started. Do I just reboot?
Thanks for your help.
heheh you ARE a windows user aren't you? =) No reboting necessary. In fact I almost never reboot unless it's to re-read a partition table or boot a new kernel. Anyway......Originally Posted by radman
I'm not overly familiar with KDM but when you log in it *should* let you choose afterstep as your window manager. If not then you either need to get it into the wm selection menu of KDM or startx from cli
which afterstep
that will tell you where the exectutable is- then something like......
startx /usr/bin/afterstep
Hehe, yes I am. Working on being more though.
Thanks for the help. I have it running. It is going to take alot of playing around to get use to in in Linux. I used it years ago as an Explorer replacement in windows an liked it.
I have a couple of books on the way, so hopefully it will all start to get more familiar.
Thanks again.
I don't know if afterstep was a replacement for explorer, but perhaps you were referring to Litestep? Litestep was the ultimate explorer replacement I know, and it was extremely powerful and configurable thru text files like in linux. Once I used that I wouldn't go back to explorer.
yeah that was it LiteStep, can that be used with windows 2000?
Of course, I used it with NT4, w2k, and wxppro, all with no problems. W2k does have some quirks when using litestep, but by and large, it works fine, provided you're willing to do some editing of your rc files.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99