-
Various...
hi all. I recently downloaded Knoppix 3.3 and I'm pleasantly impressed with the funcionality of the distro. I've one gripe and a question. I booted to my IBM Thinkpad R30. Everything is recognized, even my generic no name USB JumpDrive and 4-1 PCMCIA Mem Card reader. Sound is recognized, but sounds awful. Kind of raspy and low. I did had at one time Knoppix 3.1 on the same machine and the sound worked fine. Any ideas?
Also, I wanted to test the DVD watching funcionality of the distro. I tried ejecting the drive from within the OS and nothing. ??
As I said, I'm impressed with the speed, stability and compatibility of the distro. I'm so impressed that I may install it as my main OS! Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
you can't eject the disk because knoppix is running of of it. You would need to boot from another place. As with DVDs knoppix currently can't play commerical ones because it has no decrypter.
-
OK
I get it. There are commercial Linux distributions that play DVD's, right?.
-
Yeah, you can't eject the drive if Knoppix is running from it.
And, yes, you can watch DVD's from Linux. If Knoppix had libdvdcss installed, you could watch DVD's from it (assuming you have a DVD drive that is separate from the drive from which Knoppix is running). I installed Kanotix (a Knoppix derivative) to my HD, installed libdvdcss and I can watch DVD's from my DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive. The audio skips alot, but that's another issue with my particular hardware, not with Linux. 
Later,
BR
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
bamarob
The audio skips alot, but that's another issue with my particular hardware, not with Linux. :D
Make sure DMA is enabled for the DVD unit ("hdparm -d1 /de/hdX" with the appropriate X for your device)
And the tiny libdvdcss package is indeed all it takes for linux to play commercial DVD's. See this thread.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: OK

Originally Posted by
joelomar
I get it. There are commercial Linux distributions that play DVD's, right?.
well like said above thats not needed. You could just A download a decrypter or be decrypt the dvd before hand. useing something like dvddecrypter. (windows program. don't know if it works with wine)
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00