-
how to disable the login screen?
Hi,
I've been trying to remaster a version of knoppix. It mostly seems to work as expected, however unless i explicity put it into single user mode (and loose directly booting into X), i get a login prompt. I assume this is because I've upgraded a load of packages, and removed many other ones I dont need. Can someone point me towards how I can fix this. I would rather not have to start from scratch if I can help it.
Simon
-
Senior Member
registered user
if you mean the text login console, there is a utility to do autologin. You can also change /etc/inittab to launch /bin/bash rather than getty.
-
I get a graphical login screen. One thing I have removed is KDE in favour of a lighter window manager. Would this affect the startup?
Simon
-
Senior Member
registered user
Doing package updates will add a bunch of init scripts to your runlevels. Check in /etc/rc5.d. There should nothnig in there by default. Just add what you need to by creating softlinks to the init scripts found in ../init.d
The culprit for your graphical login prompt is most likely /etc/rc5.d/S99kdm
-
Senior Member
registered user
don't know about KDM but GDM has an autologin feature too. If you want to disable it altogether, just remove the package but then you would get the standard getty one(text).
-

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
Doing package updates will add a bunch of init scripts to your runlevels. Check in /etc/rc5.d. There should nothnig in there by default. Just add what you need to by creating softlinks to the init scripts found in ../init.d
The culprit for your graphical login prompt is most likely /etc/rc5.d/S99kdm
Thanks, this fixed the problem
Simon
Similar Threads
-
By Xevi in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 10:25 PM
-
By metavoid in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 08:58 AM
-
By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
-
By evermore in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

LENOVO THINKSTATION P920 XEON GOLD 6128 3.4GHz 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$1550.00