-
boot loader and a few things
Win XP [well, explorer I think] crashes after I installed knoppix on the hard disk
[actually this is for an online friend I helped install knoppix]
[Please consider that when I was helping my friend with this it was 11 PM and I was sleepy ]
He's got :
/dev/hda1 for winxp
/dev/hdb
1 for files, fat partition table
2 for swap
3 for knx root partition
the lilo boot loader wrote in the mbr on hdb.
when he started up the pc he got nothing and he had to use the floppy disk to go to linux.
Then I
told him that for the list to show up he'd have to install lilo on the hda mbr
ofcourse it didnt work
It only load winxp, no lilo list at startup
I didnt remember at the time that he could just change the BIOS to boot from the hdb.
I know we'll have to do that.
[Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to do the wrong things thinking I am right!]
So anyway, to get the boot loader working thats what must be done.
After he got to WinXP he complains that when he tries to open "My Computer" or "My Documents", the desktop freezes, or the Start Menu freezes. He says it was working well before installing knoppix.
I told him there's no way that the Knoppix Instalation could have messed up WinXP.
Is it possible it this problem is related to anything I described happened here?
Thanks for any help you could give me and my friend.
/dash
Similar Threads
-
By AgustinCordoba in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-20-2005, 04:43 PM
-
By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
-
By killem in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-17-2005, 06:45 AM
-
By ramaswamyps in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-09-2005, 03:29 AM
-
By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00