Win XP [well, explorer I think] crashes after I installed knoppix on the hard disk
[actually this is for an online friend I helped install knoppix]
[Please consider that when I was helping my friend with this it was 11 PM and I was sleepy ]
He's got :
/dev/hda1 for winxp
/dev/hdb
1 for files, fat partition table
2 for swap
3 for knx root partition
the lilo boot loader wrote in the mbr on hdb.
when he started up the pc he got nothing and he had to use the floppy disk to go to linux.
Then Itold him that for the list to show up he'd have to install lilo on the hda mbr
ofcourse it didnt work
It only load winxp, no lilo list at startup
I didnt remember at the time that he could just change the BIOS to boot from the hdb.
I know we'll have to do that.
[Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to do the wrong things thinking I am right!]
So anyway, to get the boot loader working thats what must be done.
After he got to WinXP he complains that when he tries to open "My Computer" or "My Documents", the desktop freezes, or the Start Menu freezes. He says it was working well before installing knoppix.
I told him there's no way that the Knoppix Instalation could have messed up WinXP.
Is it possible it this problem is related to anything I described happened here?
Thanks for any help you could give me and my friend.
/dash

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99
Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD
$70.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99