View Poll Results: Should I just "turn-tail" and go back to Win98?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    0 0%
  • NO

    3 60.00%
  • Aww, three gut 'n' reinstalls aren't bad, keep going for number four !

    2 40.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: wmfthumbnail issues (cont) apt-get install blow-ups

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Wait, wait, wait. Don't install anything...you shouldn't have to.

    It looks like it compiled correctly, since your "make" output (after it goes into the /src directory) only has the --mode=link part. Maybe you can simply fix the problem by running /sbin/ldconfig as root to tell the linker where the libraries it needs are.

    But if that doesn't work, try starting from scratch. Here's a recap:

    Unarchive the tarball to your home directory. Install "libwmf-dev". Modify wmfthumbnail-0.2/src/wmfthumbcreator.cpp so the beginning looks like:

    Code:
    #include "/usr/include/kde/kdebug.h"
    #include "/usr/include/qt3/qimage.h"
    #include "/usr/include/qt3/qcstring.h"
    #include "/usr/include/qt3/qmutex.h"
    #include "/usr/include/kde/kpixmap.h"
    #include "wmfthumbcreator.h"
    #include "/usr/include/math.h"
    Modify wmfthumbnail-0.2/src/wmfthumbcreator.h so the beginning looks like:

    Code:
    #ifndef WMFTHUMBCREATOR_H
    #define WMFTHUMBCREATOR_H
    #include "/usr/include/libwmf/api.h"
    #include "/usr/include/libwmf/gd.h"
    #include "/usr/include/qt3/qvaluevector.h"
    #include "/usr/include/kde/kio/thumbcreator.h"
    (You can verify that the paths to these these *.h files are correct with the "locate" command.)

    Run "./configure" and "make" as your normal user. You should only have to run "make install" as root. Or so they say. Dunno if it really matters.

    And you definitely should not have to install more than libwmf-dev in order to get this to work on stock Knoppix. Your install and my install should be just about the same!

    Note that if "make" ends with an error message, you can skip the "make install" because it knows that make failed and won't do anything.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Ok folks, here is what I am seeing here...

    Stephen, can I make the edit and apt-get (as a test) for you, without actually doing the install ? I am quite sure, if you are thinking that it is trying to "upgrade" my KDE - you are correct, I think I am still at the "Knoppix Live CD" installed version of KDE, Knoppix 3.3 - so I am really sure that I don't have a "current" version of KDE...

    Eco2Geek, here is what I read from your reply... Erase the current unpacked tarball of wmfthumbnail, re-unpack the tarball again, make the edits in the .cpp and .h files, and re-try the ./configure, and make - then post results -=- Am I correct? Do I have to put them in my HOME area, or do them as my user? I would really prefer to do them in the location I have already been doing them, and under my root shell - just in case.

    I am still sitting on the "proceed y or n" of the above apt-get install -=- I am going to "abort" that, and await for both of your responses to the above questions, before I proceed with the above doings -=- I am not going to trash this system by my own "jumping to conclusions" here, and not at this time... (cautious aren't I?)

    Waiting for replies from both of you on this. Stephen and Eco2Geek,
    Cuddles
    PS -=- I did a complete (full) backup image last night, just in case this gets "hairy"

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Sorry for not being clear. Keep in mind that I'm no guru, and what I'm about to say is certainly up for debate/correction.

    First, your installation of Knoppix and my installation of Knoppix (OK, Kanotix for me now, but close enough) should be just about the same. I'm not getting all those errors from "make" about missing stuff -- which means, I think, that something else is going on -- the issue is not that you're missing stuff.

    Second, your system is doing what I did when I tried to use "apt-get" to install the KDE games -- it's not installing a version of xlibs-static-pic that matches your current system; it's going out, grabbing the very latest version, and then going about upgrading the rest of your system to match. If the issue truly is that you're missing stuff, then you might consider going to Debian's package site and downloading packages that match your existing system.

    So what I'm saying is, don't do that apt-get command. Instead, try running (as root) the command "/sbin/ldconfig" (which is supposed to tell the linker where the shared libraries already on your system live). Then run your "make" command again.

    And if that doesn't work, start from scratch.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Outcome:

    Eco2Geek,
    the linker update command was run, and the make failed - same place...
    I then removed the folder containing all wmfthumbnail "extracted" from the tarball, redid the unpacking of the original tarball from scratch, did the edits to the cpp and h files, did the ./configure, and the make died with the same exact error, at exactly the same spot...

    So...
    Stephen,
    I made the change to my /etc/apt/apt.conf file, and here is the output from the tested apt-get install command -=- hope you can figure this out...

    Code:
    root@Polaris:~# apt-get -s install xlibs-static-pic
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
       hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1)
       kdelibs-bin (3.2.2-2)
       kdelibs-data (3.2.2-2)
       kdelibs4 (3.2.2-2)
       libarts1 (1.2.2-1)
       libartsc0 (1.2.2-1)
       libartsc0-dev (1.2.2-1)
       libasound2 (1.0.4-1)
       libasound2-dev (1.0.4-1)
       libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1)
       libice-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libice6 (4.3.0-7)
       libpcre3 (4.5-1.1)
       libpcre3-dev (4.5-1.1)
       libsm-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libsm6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxext-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxext6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxi-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxi6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxml2 (2.6.9-1)
       libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxmu6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7)
       libxp-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxp6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxpm4 (4.3.0-7)
       libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7)
       libxslt1.1 (1.1.5-1)
       libxt-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxt6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxtst6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxv-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxv1 (4.3.0-7)
       pm-dev (4.3.0-7)
       xlibs-dev (4.3.0-7)
       xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7)
    Suggested packages:
       alsa-base (1.0.3-1)
       alsadriver ()
       libasound2-doc (1.0.4-1)
       xspecs (4.3.0-7)
    Recommended packages:
       menu-xdg (0.1)
       xml-core (0.07)
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
       kdelibs4-dev (3.2.2-2)
       libarts1-dev (1.2.2-1)
       libqt3-mt-dev (3.2.3-2)
       xlibs-pic (4.3.0-7)
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
       hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1)
       libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1)
       libice-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libice6 (4.3.0-7)
       libsm-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libsm6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxext-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxext6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxi-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxi6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxmu6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7)
       libxp-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxp6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxpm4 (4.3.0-7)
       libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7)
       libxt-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxt6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxtst6 (4.3.0-7)
       libxv-dev (4.3.0-7)
       libxv1 (4.3.0-7)
       pm-dev (4.3.0-7)
       xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7)
       xlibs-static-pic (4.3.0-7)
    The following packages will be upgraded:
       kdelibs-bin (3.1.5-1 => 3.2.2-2)
       kdelibs-data (3.1.5-1 => 3.2.2-2)
       kdelibs4 (3.1.5-1 => 3.2.2-2)
       libarts1 (1.1.5-2 => 1.2.2-1)
       libartsc0 (1.1.5-2 => 1.2.2-1)
       libartsc0-dev (1.1.5-2 => 1.2.2-1)
       libasound2 (1.0.2-1 => 1.0.4-1)
       libasound2-dev (1.0.2-1 => 1.0.4-1)
       libpcre3 (4.3-4 => 4.5-1.1)
       libpcre3-dev (4.3-4 => 4.5-1.1)
       libxml2 (2.6.6-1 => 2.6.9-1)
       libxslt1.1 (1.1.2-3 => 1.1.5-1)
       xlibs-dev (4.3.0-0ds4 => 4.3.0-7)
    13 upgraded, 31 newly installed, 4 to remove and 497 not upgraded.
    Remv kdelibs4-dev (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
    Remv libarts1-dev (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
    Remv libqt3-mt-dev (3:3.2.3-2 Debian:testing)
    Remv xlibs-pic (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libpcre3-dev [4.3-4] (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing) []
    Inst libpcre3 [4.3-4] (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing)
    Inst hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1 Debian:testing)
    Inst libartsc0-dev [1.1.5-2] (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing) []
    Inst libartsc0 [1.1.5-2] (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
    Inst libasound2-dev [1.0.2-1] (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing) []
    Inst libasound2 [1.0.2-1] (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing)
    Inst libice6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libsm6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxext6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxt6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libarts1 [1.1.5-2] (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxml2 [2.6.6-1] (2.6.9-1 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxslt1.1 [1.1.2-3] (1.1.5-1 Debian:testing)
    Inst kdelibs-data [4:3.1.5-1] (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
    Inst kdelibs4 [4:3.1.5-1] (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing) []
    Inst kdelibs-bin [4:3.1.5-1] (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
    Inst libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1 Debian:testing)
    Inst libice-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libsm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxext-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxi6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxi-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxmu6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxt-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxp6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxp-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxpm4 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxtst6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxv1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst libxv-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst pm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst xlibs-dev [4.3.0-0ds4] (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing) []
    Inst xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Inst xlibs-static-pic (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libpcre3 (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libpcre3-dev (4.5-1.1 Debian:testing)
    Conf hicolor-icon-theme (0.5-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libartsc0 (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libartsc0-dev (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libasound2 (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libasound2-dev (1.0.4-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libice6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libsm6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxext6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxt6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libarts1 (1.2.2-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxml2 (2.6.9-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxslt1.1 (1.1.5-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf kdelibs-data (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf kdelibs-bin (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf kdelibs4 (4:3.2.2-2 Debian:testing)
    Conf libesd0-dev (0.2.29-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libice-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libsm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxext-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxi6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxi-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxmu6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxt-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxmu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxmuu1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxmuu-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxp6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxp-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxpm4 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxpm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxrandr2 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxrandr-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxtrap6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxtrap-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxtst6 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxtst-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxv1 (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf libxv-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf pm-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf xlibs-static-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf xlibs-dev (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    Conf xlibs-static-pic (4.3.0-7 Debian:testing)
    root@Polaris:~#
    Awaiting further instructions, and solutions, hopefully "promissing" ones
    Cuddles

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    I'm out of suggestions. The compiled package only consists of one text file (wmfthumbnail.desktop) and two small binaries (wmfthumbnail.la and wmfthumbnail.so) plus some superfluous docs, all of which I'd be happy to email to you. Otherwise, it's time for me to shut up and let the experts take over.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Ah just what I thought it is going to pull in KDE 3.2 you will end up in a mess there unless you upgrade the entire KDE to the new version and it still will be mess with the X upgrade as well. I think you should try the files from eco2geek and see if they will work on your install that is a lot less work than upgrading all them packages.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Sounds like a plan Stephen, you listening Eco2Geek???

    Here is my email addy, taylar [at] pctcnet [dot] net

    Send me the (what three files?) files, and direct me to where I put them, we will give this a try, and see where it goes...

    Thanks Stephen for all your help, (continued), and same for you Eco2Geek -=- you guys are wonderful

    Cuddles
    [ps - if this doesn't work, should I attempt the gawd-awful thought of apt-get upgrade then???]

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Emailed...let us know!

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    As I said in my email Eco2Geek...

    Email recv'ed, untar'ed, installed, and

    O M G

    IT WORKS

    I openned my clip art CDROM, went to a folder containing WMF images, and was EXTREMELY EXCITED to see all the icons change to what there image contents are. I "hovered" over many of them to see that Konq showed me the "larger" view of the image, so, I got it working

    Thank you to both Stephen, and a very exuberant THANK YOU to Eco2Geek for sending me his pre-compiled source objects -=- I am so happy now, I can put this baby to bed now, (cuddles is doing the happy dance, again, around the room (yippie!).

    Now, I guess, the biggest question, where do I go from here? I think the process of getting this whole thing going has cost me some broken pipes ( I am getting an error from KBackup about not having afio ( I think thats the program ), and a broken pipe, when ever I do a backup )

    Should I (god forbid) think of a apt-get upgrade? Or should I do a dist-something? The KBackup still runs, it still backs up data, but it does report an error, and just continues. If my system is so far behind in updates, what should I do? Consider I am running on a 56K dial-up line here, but I can "take-over" the phone line overnight, if needed for an upgrade ( I've done it before )

    Would a upgrade, or this dist-something, correct for broken pipes that I already have, or possibly just leave them alone, and possibly just create more pipe breakage?

    Thanks again, both of you, for everything...
    (possibly the biggest reason I keep trying with Knoppix, even through all the problems, is because of the "fantastic" support I get here )

    A very happy,
    Cuddles
    yaaaaaaaaaaa, i've got thumbnail viewing of WMF images now ( YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I started this all out trying to get a "thumbnail" viewer for those pesky WMF image formats (that plague Windows) that are given so freely with clip art packages that run specific on Windows systems.
    Ah well, glad to see you suceeded. Here's an alternative which usually works:

    There's a plug in for Gimp called Guash, which, in effect creates thumbnails in much the same way as the old XV visual schnauser (spelling?). There's now (it went missing for a few months) a link to it from www.gimp.org. As the author is a DebHead, it's even available in your favourite format.

    Gimp will handle most wmf files, hence Guash will, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Monitor settings blow away during boot-up
    By snaproll in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 08:32 PM
  2. CAN'T COMPLETE HD INSTALL, SERIOUS ISSUES!!!
    By ANDREW03 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 06:10 PM
  3. Hard drive install - issues
    By gradnite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:40 AM
  4. apt-get install kaffeine (issues)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 06:22 AM
  5. HD install, network connectivity and su issues
    By twoflatfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD picture

Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD

$379.00



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base

$170.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



acer swift air 14 picture

acer swift air 14

$600.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98