View Poll Results: Is knoppix safe for beginners?
- Voters
- 20. You may not vote on this poll
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks loads! Everybody who is involved/uses linux seems to be really nice! I got 3 responces in less than an hour! Wow! I would be waiting at least 3-5 days with microsoft. But im still too nervous to use it. Dont know why. Its just when i knackered the old harddrive me mum went up the wall cus her Manchester Business School Masters MBA work (or something) was on it. And she had been saving her work for it on it for 3 years. She only had one year to go. Luckilly she had already printed some of it out. But... was I in trouble. She made me sit by the PC and try to fix it for hours, even though it was plain to see that the entire harddrive was currupt. So... I then used knoppix to try and recover her files. I managed to retreive some of my doctor who episodes from an intact partition and Roller coaster tycoon 2, but..... couldnt get anything off the C partition which was the currupt one. So I borrowed a spair 4gig hd from my uncle, installed XP onto it and (again) couldnt seem to get anything off it. So.... I downloaded a tool from the internet that lets you rawly see the harddrive in hexidecimal values and small text strings. I spent hours going through a 17gig harddrive for individual email addresses of my mums freinds/contacts (i was never going to be able to recover entire files such as docs or other such office files.) I found only about 10 addresses.
. So.... thats my life story and why im too scared to do anything now. I think forget about OS's and stick to php for now!
Thanks Loads!
Chris!!!
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 32
Last Post: 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
-
By visitor in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 01:42 AM
-
By Mlight in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 04:39 PM
-
By DimGR in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-22-2004, 06:54 AM
-
By urpk in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00