OErjan,

Well, yeah, I agree with you on those issues, but, those exact same issues could be easily duplicated through Windows, just as easily.

In Windows98 support, I had "way" too many people calling because there monitors weren't working - only to find they were "forcing" a video driver into Windows that they didn't have. Usual response to finding out that they didn't have "Spuer-Duper-Wiz-Bang-MegaMemory-High-End Video Card" installed, and simply a "ATI Basic 2 meg video card" was "Gee, I want that one instead" - forcing hardware to do things they were not "designed" to do, can cause any hardware to fail, under the "right" condiftions.

If you try to "force" a monitor to behave "way beyond" its capability, is just asking for trouble - I have a "old" monitor that can ONLY go up to 800 x 600 resolution, forcing it to go higher, only causes refresh and sync issues, i.e. non viewable screens - if that continued for too long, I think it could damage a monitor.

As for the floppy, yes, that could do some damage - I knew of a shareware program that could "hack" your command.com, back in the DOS days, so you could create "non-standard" formatted floppies - if you try to get a floppy "stepper motor" to do things they were not made to do, trouble is surely going to follow - as stated the "warning" with this shareware program reported.

I would also like to add one other "that I know of" issue. I saw this program somewhere, and never explored it any further, I think it was a Windows program, and of course, shareware... But, this program would allow you to change the RPM's of your hard drives. Again, as I said above, in this case, forcing a motor to "spin" faster than it was designed, could be a problem waiting to happen.

In some cases, like forcing a "burning" program for a CD Writter, to save at 24x instead of its recommended 4x (if it is actually a 4x speed drive), will probably only make "Digital Coasters", but with monitors, hard drives, and floppy drives, forcing them beyond what they are capable of doing, can cause problems. And, as I mentioned above, forcing a piece of hardware to use a driver that was not "designed" for it, could have same issues...

firebyrd10,
My statement still stands, sorry, but if it still requires any form of Windows to be installed on a hard drive, it isn't a "Live CD", IMHO.

In your deffense though, not even Knoppix's Live CD can do "Windows" as a "Live CD", it still requires "Windows" to be required as installed on your hard drive. But, thats just symantics.

I guess I should have said: Microsoft OS, instead of Windows OS. Even with all the problems of NTFS, I still think M$ make a ground-breaking move to using it for its file system structure. FAT, and any versions after its "initial" founding, is still just FAT. It was used way back when DOS first came out, and has simply been "Band-Aide" 'ed since then. Extremely "old" tech, IMHO. (even if the NTFS is a problem in Knoppix/Linux, it still stands as a "Next Generation", and "evolutionary" file system, and I liken NTFS to FAT, as I would see using rocks for building tools back in the cave man days, to using tools made from titanium now. (evolution)

Lastly, CounterZone,
If you, or your mom, is concerned about the "safety" of Knoppix on your mom's "business" computer, why not fork-out some moola for your own? Hit up EBay, can't be too expensive to find a computer that can manage the "minimum requirements" for Knoppix?

Here is what a "minimum" Computer "needs" to hard drive install (fully installed on the hard drive) from the documentation I have:

Code:
Pentium-class processor, preferably 300MHz or higher
64MB RAM
At least a 3 GB hard drive, or a partition of this size
And lastly, a Knoppix CD
I would also add into this, you should probably have a CD Drive, or a way to get the Knoppix CD "image" onto your system, either by the "poor mans install", or a physical CD Drive. Also, a faster processor means better performance in many games, or the operation of the OS, more memory is always better, and lastly, a larger hard drive is always better. But thats the minimum.

I am quite sure EBay, or even a friend, is trying to get rid of a system like this, because many of these kinds of systems are hitting the "door stop" catagory, or junk pile, due to increasing requirements for Windows versions of OS's. I even saw a "complete" system, being "given" away at the local library, a complete "server" class system, in fact, because they "upgraded" there servers to a new version of Windows. "It" couldn't handle the "new" Windows OS they got, so they were giving it away for $10. If I'd had known of "Knoppix" back then, it would have probably worked well with it. Heck, the monitor looked "beat up", but, was dirt-cheap for a complete system, even if I would have had to buy a new monitor for it.

zentu,
I think NTFS is going to plague Linux for a while, I think the file system is "protected" under law by Microsoft, I think, and therefor, unless someone can create a "emulator" or "hack" version, without duplication of this coding, it will continue to plague Linux OS's. Only time will tell, but I have heard that, as you said, they are "breaking" through some of its (NTFS) abilities. Again, as you said, not sure if I would try it out on my Windows installed (running) system of a NTFS hard drive, I know how "tempormental" Windows is on someone "else" touching its drives, but it is good they (Linux developers) are making some progress on the issues of "NTFS drives / don't touch" stuff.

Enuf said, I'm gone,
Cuddles