View Poll Results: Is knoppix safe for beginners?
- Voters
- 20. You may not vote on this poll
-
Senior Member
registered user
Standard System
Hello All....very interesting posts here. I would like to add my 2 cents worth and I hope its OK in this forum. I see alot of posts from people saying that Knoppix "won't boot" on their computer, or it "locks up". A bunch of problems that we all try to solve for one another. This brings up a point that I read earlier about Linux being for "tinkerers, geeks, and people who read linux manuals for breakfast and settle down to a good Linux book at bedtime." After being into Knoppix for about 3 or 4 months now, I have to agree. It is fun. And it is cool, the whole idea of the live CD. But what I would like to see, is if people are really interested in Linux, Knoppix or whatever flavor, if they try the live cd and want to install on HD, then could some people make a standardized list of KNOWN working hardware, from modem to monitor all the way around. That way, serious people could build their own machines which will run Linux with no problems. Obviously there are tons of people running linux with no trouble. The only trouble I have on my machine is the built-in sound isnt supported, but does work. No stereo, just mono. I plan to install a LINUX supported sound card soon. I understand everyones configurations are not the same, but a standardized list of hardware in a machine that will work with linux would be good for all the serious users and people who really want to get away from Micro$oft products. I guess everyone cant expect the Knoppix live CD to work, boot on EVERYONES computer. It sure is one fine CD though! I have it installed on my 2nd HDD and love it. Of course I have different opinions for apt-get and a few other things! With the price of PC parts it shouldnt be too much trouble to build your own machine, if you are a serious Linux user. Or get a friend to build you one. What motherboards are Linux compatible? What Monitors? Just compile a list of the compatible hardware and either build or replace parts in an existing machine. I dont know, it just seems to me with the large amount of people into KNOPPIX now, and the price of computer components, most of us should all consider either rebuilding to KNOPPIX/LINUX standards or replacing individual parts. What do you think? am I crazy????
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 32
Last Post: 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
-
By visitor in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 01:42 AM
-
By Mlight in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 04:39 PM
-
By DimGR in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-22-2004, 06:54 AM
-
By urpk in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop i5-12500H RTX 3050 Ti 16GB RAM 1.5TB SSD
$550.00